Program Crash at Start

hey there

i had to reinstall my system (win7). i took the “AppData” “Roaming” with me and just copied all files into the new win7 folder. then i reinstalled picard. but it won’t even load. it just crashes directly after the click.

then i removed it, including all settings, reinstalled and now i have the same error again.

what could i do next?

thank you!

Problemsignatur:
  Problemereignisname:	APPCRASH
  Anwendungsname:	picard.exe
  Anwendungsversion:	0.0.0.0
  Anwendungszeitstempel:	5a2e9f14
  Fehlermodulname:	picard.exe
  Fehlermodulversion:	0.0.0.0
  Fehlermodulzeitstempel:	5a2e9f14
  Ausnahmecode:	40000015
  Ausnahmeoffset:	00000000000088be
  Betriebsystemversion:	6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.48
  Gebietsschema-ID:	1031
  Zusatzinformation 1:	6d60
  Zusatzinformation 2:	6d60765f2cdba3c3763ee830193caeab
  Zusatzinformation 3:	8efb
  Zusatzinformation 4:	8efb8fb81dd19a293304681e3c427ada

First make sure you have a 64bit version of Win7 running, because there is no 32bit support with current Picard. Then try launching picard.exe from command line. For this open a command prompt (“Eingabeaufforderung” in German) and type:

"C:\Program Files\MusicBrainz Picard\picard.exe" --debug

Make sure you use the correct path where you actualy installed Picard, but the above is the default. Normally Picard would now start and print some debug output. In your case it will hopefully give us some clue why it is crashing. A successful launch looks something like this:

2 Likes

Unbenannt

unfortunately, picard crashes immediately and no text is given

This is a rather fresh install of Windows 7 right? Please make sure you install the Service Pack 1 and all mandatory updates thereafter. Picard won’t work without SP1 and some additional updates.

3 Likes

windows took multiple restarts to get the service pack 1 installed and i got confused there.
my mistake, never mind but thanks anyways!

1 Like

That’s just Windows’ fault anyway :smiley: I tested this recently myself with a fresh Windows 7 install. I can’t exactly say for sure what is needed, but at least SP1 and some of the follow-up updates. So our current recommendation is to say “fully patched Windows 7 SP1” as the minimum :wink: I try to remember to submit some update for the Picard website to reflect this.

1 Like

I have the same issue only I already have Service Pack 1 installed on my hardware, it’s a fresh install of Picard too so I have no idea why it would be doing this.

Problem Event Name:	        APPCRASH
  Application Name:	        picard.exe
  Application Version:	        0.0.0.0
  Application Timestamp:	5a2e9f14
  Fault Module Name:	        picard.exe
  Fault Module Version:	        0.0.0.0
  Fault Module Timestamp:	5a2e9f14
  Exception Code:	        40000015
  Exception Offset:	        00000000000088be
  OS Version:	                6.1.7601.2.1.0.768.3
  Locale ID:	                2057
  Additional Information 1:	6d60
  Additional Information 2:	6d60765f2cdba3c3763ee830193caeab
  Additional Information 3:	d27f
  Additional Information 4:	d27f5d6796d37b322b2f10b828198b5f

Do you also have all Windows updates installed? As noted above just installing SP1 is not enough, you also need the following updates. And it’s a 64bit Win 7, right?

1 Like

It is 64bit yes, and I’m not sure about the updates though, I think I might, I definitely updated Windows 7 more than once. I forget how to install the updates to be honest.

Hi there !

I have exactly the same “crash at start” problem.
Windows 7 64bits familial with SP1 and absolutely no updates applied.

I’ve found and read this post then tried to do some updates to change things… and it works, now !!

Here is a screenshot of the few updates I’ve made to get Picard works and don’t crash at start :
(only these dated from 17 and 18 february 2019 are concerned)
(in french, cos… I’m french)

Some of the “windows security update” seem to be needed. I’ve deleted some of them and finally returned to a “crash at start”. So reinstalled them.

It can help (all of) you to know what updates you have to do, and what else you don’t need !

3 Likes

Yes, for Windows 7 at least SP1 plus some additional updates are required. I actually don’t know which ones exactly, hence we say minimal Windows requirements are a fully patched Windows 7 SP1.

1 Like

Outsidecontext said :
I actually don’t know which ones exactly,

That’s why I posted :wink: !

It’s a little more specific, now.
No need to spend hours and so to download a lot of updates, especially if your are limited by space disc, or just don’t want for specific reasons.

The solution is in these 30 or + updates.

• I don’t know if picard rely on .net or not, so updated it.
  • Updates for windows infrastructuires seems to be deep updates,so updated.
  • Sp1 of course ( I already had SP1 installed, but windows update detected needs to still install SP1… so still installed it …
  • Security updates were installed by mistake ;- D, but before installed them, Picard still crashed at start, and after I stopped their installation : Picard worked fine !!
1 Like