PPA dists update request

Could I kindly ask that the PPA be updated to include Bionic? This is one of 2 remaining sources I use that are not yet updated, and I do not want to forget. The other being 01 Intel graphics, which I never hold my breath for anyway.

To make sure I am clear, I refer to the following:
http://ppa.launchpad.net/musicbrainz-developers/daily/ubuntu

Thanks for the reminder, will update the PPA later.

1 Like

I have updated both the stable PPA and the daily PPA for Bionic.

I would highly appreciate some testing of the daily PPA, since this is a near release ready build of Picard 2.0. The final release should AFAIK come in a few days.

As mentioned earlier Picard 2.0 builds will only be available for newer Ubuntu versions (Artful and Bionic), as the 16.04 LTS release does not provide all dependencies needed.

1 Like

Daily is where I pull from. Prior to your change noted above, I was receiving some plugin issues in my xsession-errors, I will adjust and update per above and see if that still exists. I only use 4 plugins I think it is, so it is few and only what I really need for submitting.

@outsidecontext Sorry for the late reply. I have no functional issues with the version Picard I pull from the daily PPA. As I mentioned, there is data in the xsession-errors, I have pasted here as shows from opening Picard, then closing Picard.

The plugins I have checked as active are:

1. Add Cluster As Release
  2. Feat Artist in Titles
  3. Generate Cuesheet
  4. Keep Tags

This is a fresh install of Picard, installed at the time I posted this, and on install, I checked those plugins and have not changed them since. Again, I have no functional issues, aside from the features I want that are not there :slight_smile: All seems to function as it is intended to. I am adding the following only to provide you with information, I have little worry or concern about it. Ubuntu is producing so many errors currently that a few lines in a multi MB error log file is of no real concern. My OS is Ubuntu 18.04 MATE, that is somewhat a hybrid of that and Debian Sid, especially when it comes to multimedia related packages.

I: 03:36:31,736 /usr/lib/picard/picard/tagger.debug:234: Debug mode off
E: 03:36:32,354 /usr/lib/picard/picard/plugin.load_plugin:349: Plugin ‘acousticbrainz’ : Traceback (most recent call last):
File “/usr/lib/picard/picard/plugin.py”, line 324, in load_plugin
plugin_module = importer.load_module(_PLUGIN_MODULE_PREFIX + name)
File “/home/xxxxxx/.config/MusicBrainz/Picard/plugins/acousticbrainz.zip/acousticbrainz.py”, line 33, in
from picard.webservice import REQUEST_DELAY
ImportError: cannot import name ‘REQUEST_DELAY’

E: 03:36:32,360 /usr/lib/picard/picard/plugin.load_plugin:349: Plugin ‘acousticbrainz_tonal-rhythm’ : Traceback (most recent call last):
File “/home/xxxxxx/.config/MusicBrainz/Picard/plugins/acousticbrainz_tonal-rhythm.zip/acousticbrainz_tonal-rhythm.py”, line 38, in
from picard.webservice import REQUEST_DELAY
ImportError: cannot import name ‘REQUEST_DELAY’

W: 03:36:32,409 /usr/lib/picard/picard/plugin.load_plugin:345: Plugin ‘Disc Numbers’ from ‘/home/xxxxxx/.config/MusicBrainz/Picard/plugins/discnumber.zip/discnumber.py’ is not compatible with this version of Picard.
E: 03:36:32,644 /usr/lib/picard/picard/plugin.load_plugin:349: Plugin ‘playlist’ : Traceback (most recent call last):
File “/home/xxxxxx/.config/MusicBrainz/Picard/plugins/playlist.zip/playlist.py”, line 26, in
from PyQt4 import QtCore, QtGui
RuntimeError: the PyQt4.QtCore and PyQt5.QtCore modules both wrap the QObject class

W: 03:36:32,649 /usr/lib/picard/picard/plugin.load_plugin:345: Plugin ‘Release Type’ from ‘/home/xxxxxx/.config/MusicBrainz/Picard/plugins/release_type.zip/release_type.py’ is not compatible with this version of Picard.
W: 03:36:32,654 /usr/lib/picard/picard/plugin.load_plugin:345: Plugin ‘Save and rewrite header’ from ‘/home/xxxxxx/.config/MusicBrainz/Picard/plugins/save_and_rewrite_header.zip/save_and_rewrite_header.py’ is not compatible with this version of Picard.
W: 03:36:32,671 /usr/lib/picard/picard/plugin.load_plugin:345: Plugin ‘Standardise Feat.’ from ‘/home/xxxxxx/.config/MusicBrainz/Picard/plugins/standardise_feat.zip/standardise_feat.py’ is not compatible with this version of Picard.
E: 03:36:32,676 /usr/lib/picard/picard/plugin.load_plugin:349: Plugin ‘tracks2clipboard’ : Traceback (most recent call last):
File “/home/xxxxxx/.config/MusicBrainz/Picard/plugins/tracks2clipboard.zip/tracks2clipboard.py”, line 10, in
from PyQt4 import QtCore, QtGui
RuntimeError: the PyQt4.QtCore and PyQt5.QtCore modules both wrap the QObject class

E: 03:36:33,267 /usr/lib/picard/picard/plugin.load_plugin:349: Plugin ‘viewvariables’ : Traceback (most recent call last):
File “/home/xxxxxx/.config/MusicBrainz/Picard/plugins/viewvariables.zip/viewvariables/init.py”, line 11, in
from PyQt4 import QtGui, QtCore

E: 03:36:33,290 /usr/lib/picard/picard/plugin.load_plugin:349: Plugin ‘wikidata’ : Traceback (most recent call last):
File “/home/xxxxxx/.config/MusicBrainz/Picard/plugins/wikidata.zip/wikidata.py”, line 19, in
from picard.webservice import XmlWebService
ImportError: cannot import name ‘XmlWebService’

The above is all about plugins needing updates. Or given that you don’t use them you could also just remove them from /home/xxxxxx/.config/MusicBrainz/Picard/plugins/

As it works currently Picard still has to load the plugin modules in order to get basic info about the plugins, even if it is not activating them. That still can trigger some errors. Picard will work the same nonetheless, it will just ignore the plugins.

2 Likes

That makes sense. Since there are no functionality issues, and the errors that appear in the log are explained, I have nothing problematic to report.

Overall I like it over what I was using prior in the stable version. There are things I could recommend on views and function, but that is not for this topic as those are not errors or problems. Next time I open it, I will have a look to see if I can crash it, but that has yet to happen during what I use it for.

1 Like

@outsidecontext - just confirming that, as expected, deleting the plugins as outlined above did in fact stop Picard from talking to the xsession-errors log.

1 Like