Possible to get an artist's 'legal name' in my file renaming script?

I’d like to organise artists with many aliases into a parent directory, like so:

Library/Legal name/Alias/Album

Is it possible to grab this info if it exists in the artist’s relationship data?

I don’t think “legal name” is available for all artists. You might be able to achieve something similar by using the “standardized name” instead. If you want both the standardized name and credited name available, you will need to use a plugin like Additional Artist Variables. The user guide for the plugin explains the additional variables provided.

3 Likes

Ah, to be clear I mean grabbing the ‘legal name’ from the artist’s relationship info. If it doesn’t exist I can script around it, or contribute it myself—depending on why it doesn’t exist.

If that information isn’t accessible via scripting though, that’s fair enough.

Thanks anyway!

1 Like

I don’t believe that it’s available by default, because I don’t think that the artist relationships are included in the information retrieved by Picard. You would need a plugin to make the extra information call, and make the information available as a tag or variable.

2 Likes

I’ve updated the Additional Artists Variables plugin to now provide Legal Name alias information for the artists. This information is available as special variables available to both tagging and file naming scripts.

It isn’t (yet) available through the official Picard plugins, but you can download it from my plugin repository on GitHub if you want to check it out.

2 Likes

Hi Bob, Is it possible to apply this to Works?

Not as it’s currently written, because it only works with the information already provided to Picard. To get the Work information requires additional information requests, as is done by @MetaTunes in their excellent Classical Extras plugin. If the artist alias information is already part of the extra information received, then they might be able to make it available as an additional option.