Place of birth / death - countries that no longer exist or renamed

Just make sure to side-step the boulder on the way down!

2 Likes

OK, thx, that’s nice to know…

You aren’t really surprised, I suppose :wink:

2 Likes

wile-e-catapult

4 Likes

1 Like

By the way, you’ve done something to / with the search engine. It’s much better now. Thx…

3 Likes

Ah, good to know the results are so obvious!
Yes, the main body of this project was to improve the search results overall, and showing areas was just a subset of that task.
Previously the search engine was returning wild results that didn’t seem related to the search query at all (I had to dig deep to understand the reasons why and improve the configuration accordingly).

If you see any issues with the search —or results that look like they don’t fit— please do let me know.

4 Likes

I suggest New York be changed to New York City, because I have struck biographies that just record the state as a location. There could be some confusion otherwise.

There are some big places that don’t show up in the search for me, like Salem, MA, USA and Cambridge, UK.
Edit: Regardless, thank you for the new feature. I think it is good to know precisely where authors lived.

1 Like

Thanks that helps!
It uncovers another issue: it looks like the search endpoints currently only return a maximum of 10 results.
Salem, MA is indeed in the database, but does not appear in the search results because of that limit.
One more ticket ! https://tickets.metabrainz.org/browse/BB-577