Picard won't Start on MacOS Ventura Problem - Debugged - Help Please

I have read the “Picard won’t start” entry on the Troubleshooting docs page. So I ran it from the command line with debug. Below is the log. It looks like I have some permission problem when Picard tries to launch for the first time. I’m not sure what to do to fix this and I am not a Python wiz. Any help or suggestions would be much appreciated. TIA.

Happy New Year, Dan

Last login: Sat Dec 30 14:10:02 on console
danshepherd@DRS-MBP ~ % “/Applications/MusicBrainz Picard.app/Contents/MacOS/picard-run” --debug
Traceback (most recent call last):
File “tagger.py”, line 17, in
File “tagger.py”, line 1570, in main
File “tagger.py”, line 245, in init
File “config.py”, line 487, in setup_config
File “config.py”, line 299, in from_app
File “config.py”, line 270, in sync
File “fasteners/process_lock.py”, line 166, in enter
File “fasteners/process_lock.py”, line 144, in acquire
File “fasteners/process_lock.py”, line 106, in _do_open
File “fasteners/process_lock.py”, line 43, in _ensure_tree
File “”, line 225, in makedirs
PermissionError: [Errno 13] Permission denied: b’/Users/danshepherd/.config/MusicBrainz’

During handling of the above exception, another exception occurred:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File “config.py”, line 262, in event
File “config.py”, line 270, in sync
File “fasteners/process_lock.py”, line 166, in enter
File “fasteners/process_lock.py”, line 144, in acquire
File “fasteners/process_lock.py”, line 106, in _do_open
File “fasteners/process_lock.py”, line 43, in _ensure_tree
File “”, line 225, in makedirs
PermissionError: [Errno 13] Permission denied: b’/Users/danshepherd/.config/MusicBrainz’
zsh: abort “/Applications/MusicBrainz Picard.app/Contents/MacOS/picard-run” --debug
danshepherd@DRS-MBP ~ %

[Have a look whether the /Users/danshepherd/.config or /Users/danshepherd/.config/MusicBrainz folders exist and what file permissions there are. You should be able to inspect this in Finder. If they exist they must be read and writeable.

If the .config folder does not exist this would be strange, it would indicate your user’s home folder is not writeable. In this case check the permissions oof /Users/danshepherd as well and either make it writeable or manually create a .config folder inside it.

4 Likes

:pray: thx! that led to a deeper dive that fixed several permissions issues. You made my New Year.

3 Likes

Thanks for confirming this works for you now.

We should still see that this does not hard crash in this case. But the crash actually happens when writing the lock file for accessing the config file, and that particular code was removed in the current development code. I’ll test this locally.

1 Like