Picard won't create artist or album directory

Hello, I just started using Picard today. I have a large music collection that I named poorly when I first started creating it. With some research it looked like picard would take a music file, determine its artist and album, create those directories then save the newly named file under the proper directory. Is that correct? Here are the Picard specifics: Picard Version 2.3.1, Python 3.6.9, PyQt 5.10.1, Qt 5.9.5, Mutagen 1.43.0, Discid discid 1.1.0 (compat layer from python-libdiscid 0.4.1), libdiscid 0.6.2
astrcmp C, SSL OpenSSL 1.1.1 11 Sep 2018. I am using Ubuntu as the OS. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Welcome. Yes, Picard can create this for you, but you need to configure it before.

Before you continue: Make sure you have a backup of your files. Please try the settings with only a few files or maybe 2-5 albums first until you are satisfied. Picard is very powerful and can reorganize you files in various ways. Also if you start working on your library work in batches. Don’t throw everything in Picard at once. It will be much easier to handle.

To configure Picard please see under Options > Filenaming. You should at least select a target directory and enable both moving and renaming files. By default Picard will create an artist and album folder and name the files with track number and title. But you can configure this very flexibly with the file naming script.

3 Likes