Picard Plugin: Format Performer Tags

I’m wondering about an issue I am having, and if adding an additional feature to this plugin could perhaps be a viable solution.

Suppose you have performer tags present in your files.
And when running them through Picard again at a later moment, some performers details in MusicBrainz’ database were updated.
Picard will add update the information just fine, but the existing tags will also remain in your files.
This can result in having outdated performer tags in your files.

For example:

It looks like ‘bass’ was changed to ‘bass guitar’, which will result in a duplicate entry for the bass player here.

The same would happen if a performer was removed from the database because it was erroneous.
But it would remain as a tag in your file.

Would it be an idea to add an option to the plugin, something like ‘delete existing performers tags’?

Or can this already be achieved in another way that I am overlooking?
(using Picard’s ‘clear existing tags’ is not an option for me here)

3 Likes

Have a look at the $unset script function. I think will do what you want. I haven’t tried it, so if it ends up removing the new performer tags as well, then I’ll have to look at other options.

I am pretty sure $unset cannot remove tags that are present in files.
Perhaps $delete can do something here.
I’ll try some things tomorrow.

1 Like

You’re probably right. I haven’t worked with it before, so I’m not sure.

Perhaps, but I don’t think there’s any wildcard options with $delete so it isn’t the ideal solution either.

It’s beginning to look like it needs to be an addition to the plugin, triggered on a different event.

1 Like