Picard matches to wrong release or "parent"? release

Hi. I have this CD:

which is (maybe?) a portion (discs 7 & 8) of this one:

However, when I use Lookup CD to get the discid it connects only to “Symphony Edition”, not “The Complete Symphonies”. Picard also connected to the larger compilation and we had a lengthy argument before I could get the correct release to be accepted. What do I do about the Discid? Can it be connected to “The Complete…”?

If the release I have is, in fact, derived from “Symphony Edition” is there a way to connect them so that the next person looking this up doesn’t have to spend as much time finding the correct release? Is that where Release Groups come in? Relationships? Thanks!

It sure can. From Picard first try looking up that CD (which you said returns the wrong release). From the selection list, click on “look up manually”, which will open a search page in your browser. Enter the search criteria (that will lead you to your release) and initiate the search. A list of the matching discs will be displayed. You should see the disc from your release in the results list. Select it and click the “Attach disc id” button near the bottom of the page. This will create an edit for you. Enter an appropriate edit note and then submit. Note that you will need to repeat this procedure for each CD in the release.

If there is no release that matches yours, you have the option (at the bottom of the screen) of adding a new release. If you use this to add the release, it will automatically attach your disc id to the new release.

There is a release-level (I think, unless it’s a release-group level) relationship that allows you to mark a release as “part of” (or “included in” or something similar) another release. The release (and release group) relationship editor is available as a link on the right side of the release (or release group) screen.

I’m going from memory here, so the actual button names and such might be slightly different, and it’s been a while since I’ve created an edit using the “part of” (or “included in”) relationship for a release. If my instructions aren’t 100% accurate, hopefully they will get you close enough that you’ll be able to get it done…

1 Like

Thanks rdswift, for your quick reply! I was able to easily add the Discid following your excellent instructions.

I’m having trouble, though, with the Relationship. I was able to get the Edit Relationships dialogue going and filled everything in but the “Done” button remained gray.

If I choose the Release relationship none of the choices apply. If I choose Release Group the choices fit what I’m trying to do but I can’t finish the job. I’m pretty sure Release Group is what I want here – I just can’t figure out how to make it happen!

2 Likes

You’re right, it is a Release-Group relationship. Steps to follow:

1. From your release that you want to show as part of another release, select Edit relationships in the column on the right side of the screen.

2. Near the bottom of the page, under Release Group Relationships, click Add relationship.

3. On the left side of the release editor box, select Release group.

4. For the Type, select included in.

5. In the lookup box, find the release group that this should be shown as being a part of. I often find it easier to look up the release group in another browser tab, and then just copy the id of the appropriate release group and paste it into the lookup box of the relationship editor.

6. Click Done, and your new relationship should be displayed. Note that it won’t be saved to the database until you add an edit note and save the edit.

Thanks again, Bob! It appears that this is not what MB has in mind for Release Groups:
https://musicbrainz.org/doc/Style/Release_Group
There are a number of situations where it is not appropriate for releases to be part of the same release group:
A release which combines releases from several other release groups into one new release should be a separate release group. This includes box sets and “2 in 1” releases.

Series consisting of different volumes (typically released over a period of time) should have different release groups for each volume.

That would apply to Symphony Edition. The other two have different works on them so it seems my great idea to connect them isn’t the way to go!

At least this is my interpretation. If anyone has ideas about this I’d love to hear them.

1 Like