Picard is consolidating same album in different qualities into one folder

Hello. I have tried searching for this in multiple ways, but I must not know how to phrase it properly. I have also searched through settings to no avail.

The issue: I have a directory of unsorted album folders. Sometimes, there are two folders for the same album, except one is lossless and one is lossy. When I try to use Picard to rename and move albums, it tends to want to consolidate EXAMPLE ARTIST - EXAMPLE ALBUM (320kpbs) and EXAMPLE ARTIST - EXAMPLE ALBUM (FLAC) into one folder with all the songs/files from both original folders. Iā€™d prefer to have them remain in separate folders.

I am probably missing something obvious. Thank you kindly in advance.

Files are put into folders according to the File Naming Script. You can add extra items to this to e.g. include the encoding type - see File Variables ā€” MusicBrainz Picard v2.10 documentation for details on metadata relating to encoding.

You just need to be aware that if you use track-specific metadata in the path part of the file naming script (rather than album-specific metadata) then you may end up with the files in your album being split across two or more directories if this metadata differs across the tracks. So in your example, if you have an album consisting of some FLAC files and some 320kbps MP3 files, these will end up in different directories - but providing they are consistent across the files in your album, this will be good.

3 Likes

Thank you kindly, Sophist, for setting me on the right path.

1 Like