So I tested some more.
Not that it seems to matter, but I’m processing my 16 AC/DC studio albums
This is what I did and found;
I have wikidata enabled, I let all 16 albums finish processing and tried a different version. CRASH
End task, remove wikidata from “enabled plugins” in the ini file, and restart. (no confirmation in settings window)
For the first release that populated a value, I selected a different release. CRASH
Clear cache, and open Picard. Checked the plugins dialog, and found no confirmation that wikidata was disabled. Clicked the checkbox, and checked ini file. Found a tangent that different plugins are enabled, which means any testing I have done relying on the dialog box is irrelevant because I have no way of knowing what was really enabled. (That is a frustrating bug for a user.)
I cleared the enabled plugin section of the ini, except for wikidata. Settings dialog shows nothing enabled.
While releases were loading, I tried a different version for a different release, and the one I did before. WORKED PERFECT
(Closed and reopened Picard) I enabled my previous list of plugins in the ini file, and repeated the test. (Settings dialog seems to match the ini file contents.) WORKED PERFECT
I enabled the wikidata plugin, and confirmed in the ini file. Closed and reopened Picard. Tried to find an alternate version while the rest of the releases were loading. CRASH
Cleared cache, restarted Picard, and waited for everything to finish. I did not interact with Picard while everything was loading. Tried to find an alternate version of a different release. CRASH
Cleared the log file, restarted Picard, and loaded same albums, but only did lookup on a single album. Tried different version. CRASH
Cleared cache, loaded same albums, did lookup on same album. Tried different version. No interaction with Picard while loading. CRASH
Cleared cache, loaded single different album. Select other version. (Happened much quicker.) CRASH
Disabled wikidata in the ini file. Tested with what I think is the same album. different version. WORKED PERFECT
Repeat test; With wikidata disabled, all albums loaded, and set to lookup, change versions. WORKED PERFECT
It looks like an interaction with another plugin that is causing the issue. Here is my full list from my ini file. I’m quitting for a while. Let me know which plugins are the most interesting, and I will start my testing with those. In a perverse way, I’m enjoying this.
enabled_plugins=featartist, standardise_performers, viewvariables, fanarttv, wikidata, release_type, albumartist_website, albumartistextension, smart_title_case, soundtrack, discnumber.