Picard 2.x for ubuntu 14.04?

Does anyone know of a precompiled picard 2.x for Ubuntu 14.04? The ppa only has 1.4.

I started looking into building from source, but it looks like the INSTALL.md is windows-focused, and it’s a rabbit hole I’d prefer not to dive down, if I don’t have to.

And yes, I know 14.04 was EOL earlier this year, but I don’t have the ability to update my entire system right now. (I could use the Windows version from another machine, but for at least some files, that will mean munging my filenames, since the Windows version forcibly removes non-Windows-compliant characters.)

14.04 does not have the required dependencies, that’s why there is no binary package for it.

I don’t think you will have luck running Picard from source for this reason. But you could install either the snap or flatpak version. I think snap is available for 14.04, not sure for flatpak.

Actually it’s not, it hardly mentions Windows and only for a few cases where it is more difficult on Windows to install and setup some dpendencies. Windows does not have any proper dependency management or easy software installation :wink:

Running Picard from source is otherwise rather straight forward. But as I said I think it won’t run on 14.04, mostly due to a too old Qt5. We don’t even support 16.04 for this reason.

1 Like

Thanks for the reply. Turns out that snapd runs on Ubuntu 14.04, but not on Mint 17.3, which is based on 14.04, but apparently has a different systemd. flatpak is no-go on 14.04. Sigh.

For now, I’ll probably just use the Windows version, and write a little script to try & detect which files have had their names munged, relative to the tags. Maybe even make it smart enough to revert the munging.

Another option is to do a piecemeal upgrade instead of a full upgrade. You might be able to get away with just upgrading your Qt and your python libraries and a small handful of dependencies.
I’ve do this sort of thing a lot on Debian installs, and had relatively few problems (once I get the dependencies resolved, which can occasionally get hairy). I’ve only had one Ubuntu install, but I’ve also done this sort of thing with it as well.
It’s less work than building from source, but (a fair bit, sometimes) more work than “apt install”.