Picard 2.8.5 - scan Results and available options

Here, two suggestions are provided for what is basically the same release. Note that moving track #13 from the release suggestion below to the release suggestion above results in a complete album, and can be saved and removed. However, it’s all lonely in it’s own release which feat 14 tracks. Meanwhile, there are only 13 tracks on the SSD: why even offer the 14-track release as an option, moreover why place one file in that release? I’m thinking maybe there’s a function or class that’s not executing in the code (i’m nuts). That logic seems like it should be there. I beg you pardon, as that’s absolutely not meant as a vote down. Merely an observation.

I consider myself a bit of an audiophile, but not to the point of trying to match exact release (country, etc.). Many of my files were collected in the napster days, so I guess I look at it as-- they aren’t the “real” songs anyway, and I have no idea where they came from, so what do i care about such a detail. So, It would be awesome if there were (or maybe it exists already) an option to let Picard choose (i’m sure you’re working on AI integration, so it won’t be long until… who knows!). Simple logic, if tracks == || < value of official release match, place in release suggestion, else check for release matches including those tracks and abandon the initial suggestion. Anything to save time.

I apologize for not searching the forum. ADHD. I’ll be here all night and I can’t do that tonight.

Scan currently works on a file by file basis, analyzing the audio of a file and searching for a matching release. That’s why usually Lookup (which searches by existing metadata) is recommended as the first approach.

When searching file by file Picard found the 13 tracks release. Picard prefers already loaded releases over others, so the rest of the files ended up in the same release. But track 14 didn’t fit and hence the next result got loaded.

3 Likes

Can you check if the calculated AcoustID for this file (December) is actually linked to anything in the database?

According to screenshot yours starts with ‘42872a70-’ but there’s none matching on Recording “December” by Weezer - Fingerprints - MusicBrainz

Apparently there’s only one release in this RG with 14 tracks.

But here Picard could be smarter, because it already has 12 tracks in one release, and only 13 files, and, because it didn’t find the acoustid still selects another release for it.

Is there a way to have Picard prefer the earliest release (by release date) (most likely the original release)

If you’re just wanting to pull the earliest/oldest release date from a release group, scripting may be of help:

$set(date,$if2(%originaldate%,%date%))

My suggestion is to cover when the track/file is a single from a release and then the single is included as part of a release group that is a greatest hits complication. Today, the track is found on that release, and picks up that release date. I’d like to get back to the original album that the single is from. I think my suggestion would get to it.

Gotcha. The only way I know of is to set weights accordingly in Options → Metadata → Preferred Releases.

To my knowledge, there is not a way to prefer a release based on date. However, given your example, I’m not sure that would reliably return the results you are hoping for as a single (many times) is released before a full/“original” album.

Just an aside: if you have product improvement suggestions, you may want to consider opening a ticket at https://tickets.metabrainz.org/ as forum posts can make tracking requests difficult.

Maybe it’s earliest album then… and then there’s the edge case of a single that isn’t from an album…