Picard 2.4 Beta 2

We have released Picard 2.4 beta 2 to address a few issues being reported for the recently released beta 1. Thanks a lot to you all for testing the last beta and reporting issues. See the blog post for details:

4 Likes

I am really enjoying the performance improvements when loading/clustering - thanks!

I am having troubles loading local cover art - not sure what is happening. I created a Jira issue for it: https://tickets.metabrainz.org/browse/PICARD-1872

2 Likes

The font used for the strings documentation on Windows is really ugly (especially in italics, see attachment). Would it be possible to have a different font (I’m not sure if fixed-with is even necessary here).

@mfmeulenbelt can you please create a ticket? I think that’s related to https://tickets.metabrainz.org/browse/PICARD-1753 we’ll have a look before final release.

While on the subject of fonts; I noticed that by default the script panel now uses a larger font than before?
If that’s intentional it’s o.k. of course, but I must say I personally liked the previous smaller font better.

What is a bit weird though; sometimes after doing some scripting it will revert to using the familiar smaller font again.

(I’m not sure how to trigger this, it might have to do with copy/pasting)

(Win10)

edit:
never mind about the new larger font, I now see it was discussed and decided on.

One reason it looks ‘ugly’ could be that the Windows setting for ‘cleartype’ doesn’t seem to be respected.

And @outsidecontext @Zas , allow me a more general suggestion as a font to use for scripting pages of Picard:
Could you give Consolas a try?

It’s a very nice console font in my opinion, and it’s included in Windows since Vista.

1 Like

F.w.i.w.; I have been a running a lot of classical releases through beta 2 using the Classical Extras plugin, and all is working beautifully.

2 Likes

If the script docs window uses a fixed width font this is most likely the same font issue we also had with the script editor and log view, which suffered from a similar bad display of the font.

Yep, good suggestion. I think we’ll update this.

1 Like

I have tried several times to install the beta 1 and 2. It removes the old version and then installs, but when you try to run it, I get

Failed to execute script tagger

and it does not start. Any ideas?

Please provide more infos about your environment, you can also enable debug log, see General Troubleshooting — MusicBrainz Picard v2.10 documentation

2 Likes

(If I am posting in the wrong place, please let me know)

I pulled the latest source today to start testing (Aug 6, 2020 commits). It seems to be working well (love the speed increase!), but I am getting an error locating the CE 2.0.11 plugin:

D: 12:00:30,946 pluginmanager._install_plugin_zip:358: Plugin (zipped) saved to 'C:\\Users\\Jami\\AppData\\Local\\MusicBrainz\\Picard\\plugins\\classical_extras.zip'
E: 12:00:31,072 pluginmanager.plugin_error:184: Plugin 'classical_extras'
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File ".\picard\pluginmanager.py", line 268, in _load_plugin_from_directory
    plugin_module = zip_importer.load_module(full_module_name)
  File "<frozen zipimport>", line 259, in load_module
  File "C:\Users\Jami\AppData\Local\MusicBrainz\Picard\plugins\classical_extras.zip\classical_extras\__init__.py", line 121, in <module>
    PRESERVE = [x.strip() for x in config.setting["preserved_tags"].split(',')]
AttributeError: 'list' object has no attribute 'split'
E: 12:00:32,565 pluginmanager.install_plugin:408: Unable to load plugin 'classical_extras': Failed loading newly installed plugin classical_extras
D: 12:00:32,566 pluginmanager._remove_plugin_files:312: Remove plugin files and dirs : 'classical_extras'

Was there a change that would affect plugins? Do I have a problem in my setup?

1 Like

There was a change on how the preserved_tags option is saved. The CE plugin needs an update to handle this, thanks for finding this issue.

2 Likes