Picard 2.11 Crashes When Loading Particular Album From Musicbrainz

Per the title, the album causing the crash is Gil Evans - Live at Fabrik Hamburg 1986. Can anyone else load this album? To clarify, Picard loads the files okay, just not the release linked above from the web.

The debug log is empty after restarting Picard as expected. I need to review how to enter debug mode.

The crash also wiped out my Win-10 start menu icons, fwiw. I can fix those if they don’t come back on their own.

1 Like

I could load the same album from MusicBrainz in Picard 2.11 running from source in linux env.
Do you have any plugin enabled?

To get a debug log have a look at General Troubleshooting — MusicBrainz Picard v2.11 documentation

4 Likes

Good idea - I should have thought about plugins.

I disabled all of them, restarted Picard, and the album loaded fine.

I then enabled the first plugin, restarted Picard, and the album loaded fine again. I then repeated that process through all 8 plugins. The album loaded fine each time. :thinking:

Before disabling the plugins, I had restarted Picard multiple times without getting that album to load. It would load other albums then, but going back to Gil Evans it would crash.

Now I’m not sure I can make it misbehave again.

2 Likes

Which plugins are those? Maybe we can figure something out.

1 Like

Here are my plugins. I’ve marked those that appear to be not applicable.

Plugins:
Additional Artists Variables
Deezer cover art (n/a)
Feat. Artists in Titles (n/a)
Fix Track Numbers (n/a)
Keep tags
Padded disc and tracknumbers
Persistent Variables
Replace Forbidden Symbols (n/a)

If I were to pick a suspect, it would be the persistent variables plugin. I’m using this in a script to create an ‘album genre’ per this previous thread. @rdswift and I noticed some flaky behavior building my genre script and Bob felt he need to “ponder” the results vis-à-vis his plugin.

Despite those issues, I was able to finalize a script that works well. I do have an occasional album where the genre result is still inconsistent across tracks, but a simple Ctrl-R fixes it. So there is still some weirdness there as in that previous thread.

1 Like

BlockquoteI disabled all of them, restarted Picard, and the album loaded fine.
I then enabled the first plugin, restarted Picard, and the album loaded fine again. I then repeated that process through all 8 plugins. The album loaded fine each time. :thinking:

Same here.
Plugins:
Amazon Cover Art
Deezer Cover Art
fanart.tv cover art
TheAudioDB Cover Art

So Deezer Cover Art is the one in both cases

2 Likes

Interesting. I looked at the recordings for my Gil Evans release, and none had genre tags. So I was barking up the wrong tree wrt the persistent variables plugin.

Deezer does have the Gil Evans release and it’s artwork.

1 Like