Picard 2.1.2 released


#1

Picard 2.1.2 is available. There are only 3 actual changes to Picard itself (the rest are fixes to our build and release procedure), but those include a possible crash and a bug that can prevent Picard from loading certain releases (showing a false login prompt instead).

More details in the blog:


pinned #2

#3

Nice. Seems to install on Win10 fine. Will give more run out later.

On the v2 installs already on PCs I had I used the new Check for Updates option. Worked well, but that may lead to the odd ID-10T issue where someone runs the installer but doesn’t stop the current Picard that is still running. When I did that I got a error from an in use dll. Would be good if the installer can warn and\or exit the currently running Picard.

Interestingly when I did the update on Win7 it spotted the old 32-bit version was running and gave the correct warning - guess that test needs an update?

The installer still has the bug where it tries to put the new 64-bit version on top of the old 32-bit version. The bug that then crashes due to plugin issues. (Sorry, I don’t have a login to the ticket system, but this has been reported before. Suggested solution to trigger the uninstaller of the 32-bit version before installing the 64-bit version)


#4

Yes, we are aware of that, there is a ticket for this, but nobody has worked on this yet. As most open source projects Picard is heavily limited by available developer time, and a minor issue like non-standard install location in case of update just isn’t too high on the priority list. Especially since this only affects a part of users and there are easy to apply workarounds available for those who care.


#5

I added an issue at https://tickets.metabrainz.org/browse/PICARD-1460
We have code that is supposed to do this, but it apparently this does not work as it should on Win 10.


#6

Not sure if it is win10 or the swap to 64-bit that changed the test. It was funny how I wrote the bug report and then saw it work perfectly on the upgrade from v1.42 to v2.x on Win7.


#7

I already identified the cause for that and will submit a fix. It was actually the upgrade to Qt5 in Picard 2 that changed how windows are named and causes the detection to fail. Thanks for spotting and reporting this issue.


#8

Nice one. :+1:

I’ve usually got some victim machine around to throw those tests at… time allowing.