Physical media: Manual v:s automatic sequence

Documentation Search “automatic sequence”: No Results
Documentation Search “sequence”: Results non-relevant
Forum search “sequence”: Results non-relevant

Wikipedia background:
manual/automatic sequence
Record changer \ Automatic sequencing
These articles number several pop/rock releases printed in automatic sequence, but I stick to classical, it being naturally more common to multi-sets.

Consider release Beethoven: Fidelio (1950.1) Pflüger. I know not whether edit-pending scans are visible to all users, ‘super’ ones, or just me (Would someone please clarify?), but case in question is this set of 3 LP:s:

12" Vinyl 1: Side I / XTV 13086 / 1B / Overture, Act 1 #1—4
12" Vinyl 1: Side VI / XTV 13091 / 1D / Act 2 #14—6 to end of opera

12" Vinyl 2: Side II / XTV 13087 / 1A / Act 1 #5—8
12" Vinyl 2: Side V / XTV 13090 / 1B / Act 2 #11—3

12" Vinyl 3: Side III / XTV 13088 / 1B / Act 1 #9—10a first part finale
12" Vinyl 3: Side IV / XTV 13089 / 1D / Act 1 #10b to end of act 1

These physical media are printed in so-called automatic sequence, meant to ease replay on certain automatic record changers handling multi-record sets. Intended play order goes not each record through in turn, but all ‘in stack’: from vinyl 1A through all A-sides to the last in set, then flipping that last one to B and returning B-sides to finish at 1B, here:

12" Vinyl 1: Side I / XTV 13086 / 1B / Overture, Act 1 #1—4
12" Vinyl 2: Side II / XTV 13087 / 1A / Act 1 #5—8
12" Vinyl 3: Side III / XTV 13088 / 1B / Act 1 #9—10a first part finale
12" Vinyl 3: Side IV / XTV 13089 / 1D / Act 1 #10b to end of act 1
12" Vinyl 2: Side V / XTV 13090 / 1B / Act 2 #11—3
12" Vinyl 1: Side VI / XTV 13091 / 1D / Act 2 #14—6 to end of opera

The result corresponds to our notion of a Work (i.e. opera from overture to final), but is not to be confused with manual sequence. If the physical media had been printed in this order (and Vinyl numbers re-ordered 1—1—2—2—3—3), then the print would have manual sequence.

At least for the time being, I have prefixed vinyl track (side) numbers alphabetically corresponding to play order, i.e. Roman numerals above, so as to have both automatic and manual sequence simultaneously readable. (Pending edits #45733135, 45733145, 45733150; also will later revisit for relationships.)

MusicBrainz concerns the physical release, clear enough with no need for doubt or change, although one may argue for precedence with artist intent, or booklet scanning in read order as opposed to how the arcs of paper (physical media) are cut, printed and bound. I do not know whether the matter of manual/automatic sequence has been concluded on earlier, but with manual sequence so overwhelmingly dominating, I can imagine it potentially problematic as script/automation handles CD/download reïssues of releases such as the vinyl Fidelio above. If so, maybe that could be helped with some Tracklist flag for ‘non-manual sequence’, or choice of the 3 main sequences: manual / automatic / slide-automatic. Or said overwhelming domination can be seen as shrinking the automatics to exceptional unimport.

As all-manual editor, I have no urge for more things to learn and forget. You may all very well reduce this post to a catch of keywords.

All pending edits are visible to everyone (logged into the site—how else would other editors verify and vote on the edits? :slight_smile: ); cover art is available to everyone as soon as it’s been uploaded (even without logging in).

This is how I’ve seen it done in other cases too, and, IMHO, is the most sensible approach with the current system.

CD and digital media releases should have their MusicBrainz releases, so they should not be fetching data from any Vinyl releases like the one you’re referencing.

By browsing not the database but recent edits, and by subscription. But thanks, good to know.

I would expect the ‘based on release’ feature to have its use especially for classicals, and editors scripting for similar shortcuts, to base one release on another without them having to share group.