Permission to use MusicBrainz logo in app

Hi there,

I’m currently working on a new app and plan to integrate MusicBrainz support. For the progress dialog that downloads metadata via the API, I plan to display the MusicBrainz logo and wanted to ask for permission to do so.

I’ve checked the repository and found no license information — just want to be sure :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Hi @fhe !
I’ve added license information on the repository.
Your use case falls well within the accepted uses.

Let me know if you need any help in choosing the right logo or anything else !

7 Likes

Remind me MetaBrainz page on Wikimedia Commons need an update :wink:

1 Like

Excellent, thank you!

What do you think about this bit in the “Acknowledgements” of the app?

MusicBrainz Logo

Copyright © 2020 MetaBrainz Foundation and contributors

The MusicBrainz Logo is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution ShareAlike 4.0 license (CC BY-SA 4.0, CC BY-SA 4.0 Deed | Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International | Creative Commons)

The MusicBrainz Logo is used in its unmodified form from
metabrainz-logos/logos/All Logos/MusicBrainz.svg at master · metabrainz/metabrainz-logos · GitHub

2 Likes

That looks pretty good to me, but I’m no expert, truth be told.
Let me ask for a second opinion from @rob

With the CC license link present, I think you could get away with using only the short form of the license (“CC BY-SA 4.0”) (rather than using both long and short form), if space is an issue.

I thought we would have a license declaration of the logo in the Picard repository, but the AUTHORS.txt (which should get updated anyway) only says:

Picard logo by http://monkeydo.digital, © 2015 MetaBrainz Foundation

That makes things a bit vague here. Depending on interpretation one could either assume the license follows the same license then the rest of the repository or that it is copyrighted without any usage license, which would be problematic for distributions. I guess we should also update the text here similar to what @fhe proposed above.

I think it would also be great to have some usage information / guidelines on the logos in general with some info what is considered legitimate use.

6 Likes