Pausing a song on Spotify and then playing a different song a few hours later causes the first song to get scrobbled

I have noticed this problem for a long time. Latest example:

Last night, I listened to 恋という贈り物 on Spotify. After that song finished playing, 聞こえますか started playing, but I immediately paused it and closed Spotify. This morning, I opened Spotify and started playing 可愛くなれたらいいのに, and 聞こえますか got scrobbled with the exact same timestamp as 恋という贈り物 (Nov 13, 8:01 PM). You can see this on my profile: Yuki-'s Listens - ListenBrainz

Does anyone have any idea why this happens?

1 Like

Hi!

Can you please tell us how you record your listens from Spotify? Do you have Spotify connected so that LB records the listens? If so, what is your username?

I have the “Record listening history” option enabled in External Music Services - ListenBrainz.

My ListenBrainz profile: Yuki-'s Listens - ListenBrainz
My Spotify profile: Midori on Spotify

I experience the same. The original ticket I created about this was

But actually changing the output device is not necessary for this to happen. Pausing and later directly switching to another song has a similar effect. I just fear that is specific to how Spotify records the listen history and might be hard to detect.

I haven’t inspected Spotify’s history in detail yet for the pause / skip to next case. But maybe there is some chance to detect some timestamp oddity or such.

2 Likes

The same happens on Last.fm, so I believe it is specific to how Spotify records things.

2 Likes

I experience the same issue, although it manifests differently on Last.fm. There, only switching the device causes the song to be resubmitted, not pausing and playing.

Another issue occurs when I disconnect Spotify from ListenBrainz and then reconnect. Many of the songs get submitted again. This does not happen on Last.fm.