Passenger – Young as the Morning Old as the Sea: No acoustic versions

I bought the album “Young as the Morning Old as the Sea” (Deluxe CD/DVD) by Passenger some time ago (in 2017).
It’s release https://www.discogs.com/Passenger-Young-As-The-Morning-Old-As-The-Sea-/release/9128916 (same cat. no. and barcode).

I thought, the acoustic versions, credited on the back cover (https://coverartarchive.org/release/4b2b39c4-54e2-421d-9f85-0a4bdb4f22eb/19102192043.jpg) are on the DVD.
I just inserted the DVD after I bought it, but I didn’t checked it at all.

Now I saw (it’s in the book), the acoustic version have to be downloaded, but the listed URL, www.passengeracoustic.com, is not working anymore (“PCRP” “Just another WordPress site” “Registration has been disabled.”). :slightly_frowning_face:
I also don’t know, how the download should have worked. I have no code or something like this (or maybe I’ve lost it).

I also don’t know how I should to enter this release (since we don’t have it, with this order on the DVD). Just CD and DVD? Also acoustic versions I don’t have?

P.S.: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Young_as_the_Morning,_Old_as_the_Sea
What about the comma?

Downloads are an evil headache. I have CDs from the 1990s which have lost all their online “special extras”. Marketing teams just stop paying for those websites far too quickly.

All I can suggest is adding an annotation saying “Originally included download links to Acoustic Versions available online at XXX. Site not available in 2020.”

You can’t really list the stuff you don’t have. Just list what you have in hand.

There is a general rule here of “If in doubt, leave it out”. That certainly applies here.

If at a later time you find an alternate source for the digital files, then come back and add them.

Similar problem occurs with those same 1990s Enhanced CDs and their Flash content that now won’t play on modern computers. Gimmicks always have a short shelf life. (though at least it is still possible to extact the old QuickTime videos from an Enhance CD, even if the menu is lost)

-=-=-

A random idea - use the Wayback Machine to locate when a site went offline. They rarely store the data like the music tracks, but can give a hint as to when the site was removed.

(Turns out that is no use in this example… it has never been cached)

-=-=-

Doing a little more digging I find this in the Domain record:

Created on 2016-07-20
Updated on 2018-05-10
Expires on 2020-07-20

Whats the betting that the album was released in 2016, and then two years later they deleted the hosting of the Acoustic files for cost reasons?

2 Likes

It looks to me this release is already in MB, but likely with some mistakes. This one matches barcode and disc number, but given the information here the acoustic tracks likely should be on a digital media “medium”. I think this entry was solely based on the Amazon entry and the back cover scan. Also release country is set to US, while discogs lists GB.

The next one I’d say is likely the same release but better data quality. It has the same barcode, the acoustic versions listed as download card and GB release country. It has no catalogue number set, this was probably unknown when this got entered:

1 Like

So, I’ve added a new release now, including the digital downloads:

Why?

I included also the downloads, even if I don’t own them.
I don’t doubt that these downloads exists (in the past) and have been part of this release. The downloads are credited on the package (back cover, and also the link in the booklet).

This is like if I a add a 2-CD release, where I only own the second CD (and also don’t have the packaging any more). Also here I don’t doubt there exists CD number 1 and it was part of this release (as I know it, since I owned it). With plausible other information (like Discogs, etc.) I don’t see any problem in such a case and I did it already (but I can’t remember, which release it was).

Maybe

is “my” release, but I’m not sure. I also think there is something wrong with this release:

• CD with regular tracks + acoustic tracks
  • different catalog number? (maybe a mistake)
  • release country is US (but ASIN from Amazon.de)
  • tracks of DVD don’t match the menu-order of my release (maybe because the songs start with number 1 and the documentary has no number in the menu, but is the first entry; or maybe it’s like on amazon, which is IMHO wrong)
    At all, I’m not sure. I’m not sure enough to modify this release.

The second quoted release,

might be a different release, the US release(?), with different order on the DVD (???, or maybe also wrong?). I don’t know. It has an US-ASIN, where there is no catalog number on the back cover.
I can’t say if it’s equal to my release or not. There have been some edits during the registration of the release.

Maybe one (or also two) releases are dupes. I don’t know. I’m not sure.
However, now there is (also) a full and correct release. :nerd_face:

1 Like