No match found for cluster lookup

I have the David Bowie-Scary Monsters album.

First, I add the directory to Picard. Then Cluster. And then Lookup doesn’t work, nothing happens.

debug.log on Google Disk

last lines of debug

D: 08:39:17,496 ui/mainwindow.set_statusbar_message:472: No matching releases for cluster [1980] Scary Monsters [Reissue 1992]
D: 08:39:17,496 webservice/ratecontrol._out_of_backoff:231: ('musicbrainz.org', 443): oobackoff; delay: 1000ms -> 1000ms; slow start; window size 1.000 -> 2.000

Only Scan recognizes the files.

What have you set as “Minimal similarity for cluster lookups…” in Advanced > Matching and what are your settings in Metadata > Preferred releases?

One factor that for sure lowers the score here significantly is the low similarity between the album titles (“[1980] Scary Monsters [Reissue 1992]” vs “Scary Monsters… and Super Creeps”).

1 Like

Default settings

If I add Bowie’s discography (33 albums), it recognizes half of it after clicking Cluster and Lookup.

Lower the cluster matching threshold and see if this improves the results . Your album titles contain a lot of information that is not part of the title and hence the titles compare not so well. But the album titles have the highest weight when matching clusters.

1 Like

I don’t change Picard settings.

I removed the year from the front of the catalog.

Significant improvement. 9 left instead of 17 unclustered.

I will continue to correct the directory names.

Thank you @outsidecontext

It works.

After Cluster and Lookup, there are 5 albums left on the left.

About the rest:

Your “Earthling [Bonus EP]” by artist “Earthig [Mega Pack]” is the release “Earthling” by “David Bowie” in the database. Should be clear why this does not match well.

For “Tin Machine 2” you have the artist “David Bowie”, artist in the database is “Tin Machine”.

MCD I have no idea what that is and if it has any corresponding entry in the database. Similar “Outside” and “Outside 2”. There is a release " 1.Outside: The Nathan Adler Diaries: A Hyper Cycle" which might or might not match your release.

2 Likes

From previous tests and previous directories:

and

Tin Machine 2 - Tin Machine ||

Outside 2 - Outside (Bonus disk)

Current after Cluster and Lookup

And showing “Scary monsters” on the right side of the panel.

“Scary Monsters” with only Scan:

I’m not entirely sure where you want to go with all the screenshots.

I don’t think it is helpful to report every single scan or lookup result.

And all of the above cases you can easily match and tag to the right release, then save and be done with it

2 Likes

I show that standalone Scan works much better than Cluster/Lookup.

Even changing directory names is not necessary.

14k files

Only Scan - 30 unrecognized songs:

Cluster, Lookup, Scan - 296 unrecognized songs: