Naming MusicBrainz Android

I do not have the necessary permissions required to create a wiki. Could you create one ?

It seems that I can switch any post into wiki mode. I just did that with your initial post in this topic.
Let me know if you want wiki mode to be switched off or on on this post or any of your posts.

1 Like

I’ve added this to the wiki post:

2 Likes

Long name versus short name:
IMG_20200722_075233

Short name also looks best.

6 Likes

Honestly, I feel “MusicBrainz” would be the obvious choice for me, even though there are also parts of other projects (Picard, ListenBrainz).
Either that or MetaBrainz, perhaps.

5 Likes

I removed my own suggestion “Louvois” as it is also the name of a disastrous software.

Will the app have its own logo ? like other Brainz projects… And if so, what colors?

Is the app we are talking about this MusicBrainz app I have on the right?
If so, I would suggest to not change anything, it looks wonderful, already:

Official MB app for each platform (Android, iOS, Windows, etc.), even if the features differ, should be called and look same as the site.
And we will gain much time to spend on more useful stuff. :wink:

3 Likes

Probably yes, if the any other name than MusicBrainz is used. It will be the other way round. The logo and the colour will be decided after the name is chosen.

2 Likes

Taking into account the new suggestions, a new poll has been created. Please do vote.

2 Likes

I assume you meant “Locutus”.

2 Likes

I believe there had not been much discussion regarding this since only 11 people had voted and the suggested names were a bit tricky, so MusicBrainz stands out as the obvious pick.
However, it has come to my notice that managing the app while including features from ListenBrainz, CritiqueBrainz, Picard, etc. seems like a hefty and odd task.

Please consider that there are only 2 app developers and we intend to add more functionalities to the app which makes it more robust and social in nature. In the process of doing that, the app will become a hybrid and not be a MusicBrainz standalone app anymore. Also, if we do not rename the app, it makes it hard for us to explain to the users how the functionalities are related to MusicBrainz, limiting our creativity to make the app a One-Stop Music solution.

I propose we rethink the app name, hopefully, a one-word name that fits well and sounds groovy to flow along with the new generation as well.
Something along the lines of Picard sounds cool, short, and powerful to me. Anything which sounds like this would be a good fit according to me.

1 Like

I don’t know for the others but I would imagine that an app that revolves around MusicBrainz, CritiqueBrainz and ListenBrainz, in fact the core feature is still MusicBrainz, the only one that you could not do without, in the app.

But I just imagine the future app as an easier way to browse my collection or browse the encyclopedia aspect, with my collected items highlighted.

Personally, I don’t think something like of the kind of Picard, a niche reference, unrelated to music, is an obvious choice.
You still have to add MusicBrainz Picard Tagger when you want to make things clear.

1 Like

We always use MusicBrainz and the other services behind the scenes. But the app as a whole needs to be more social and allow users to check their listenbrainz stats, submit reviews to critiquebrainz, Play music locally, etc. as well, which separates the upcoming app updates from just MusicBrainz.
Also, the app would tend to confuse a user who just used the app and then visited the website since the app would serve as a social front whereas the website is more database-centric.

A short and crisp name would go along well for a mobile app that aims to serve as the face for all the Music related works at MetaBrainz.

1 Like

Here is a random name: Musinfo (ach, it already exists)
It should be a short name and related to music.
But I would probably still vote for MusicBrainz rather than for Musinfo. :wink:

1 Like

We generally (though there are always exceptions) use FooBrainz for the main/data projects, and BrainzBar for consumer and “helper” projects (e.g., BrainzBot (×2), BrainzGit, BrainzUtils), so a BrainzDroid (or BrainzTricorder, BrainzCorder, BrainzData, etc.) would still fit with how we’ve named other things. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

And so why not BrainzMusic!? No just joking. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I see the reasoning but it doesn’t have the same ring to it :smiley:

I like the idea of naming it something a little silly, and therefore IMHO, memorable. something like MonkeyBrainz would be great, even though it doesn’t quite fit with the typical naming scheme… :hear_no_evil:

I would also be down with continuing the Star Trek theme with Louvois or Locutus. (Data is actually my favorite, but I can’t imagine it’s terribly good for Search Engine Optimization…) :wink:

2 Likes

Please something about music rather than off-topic TV series or industrial Hollywood stuff.

1 Like