MusicBrainz Picard crashes randomly when trying to manually search for song to match

Tags: #<Tag:0x00007f9ad58a58c8>

Hi,
When I’m using the manual lookup, sometimes the program will just exit (crash) with no notification, losing all other work that has been done. I couldn’t find a pattern, it seems random to me.
Using the latest version (2.2).

I’d be happy to get feedback, or if this is a known issue.
Thanks!

1 Like

how many songs are you trying to look up in one hit?

1 Like

Thanks for reporting. We need to get more information in order to find the cause for the crashes:

  • Which operating system (Windows, macOS, Linux, which version of this?) are you running on?
  • Which version exactly of Picard are you running?
  • What exactly are you doing / have you clicked?
  • In order for us to see the crash reason, start Picard from command line with the -d parameter and make it crash

On Windows you can open a “Command Prompt” window and type "C:\Program Files\MusicBrainz Picard\picard.exe" -d, then press Enter:

grafik

This will output a lot of information. Now make Picard crash and post the output (a screenshot is fine) here. I’m mostly interested at the last lines of the output, directly before Picard crashed.

Crashes like this can also be caused by plugins. Please try disabling all plugins and see if the issue goes away. If this fixes the issue, try enabling the plugins one by one again, this should help to figure out which plugin is affected. Also make sure to have all plugins updated, often issues are fixed in newer versions.

3 Likes

Before I read the replies I removed the ‘wikidata genre’ for other reasons and so far I haven’t been able to replicate the problem.
However I also made changes to that particular music folder that contained a few hundred files, so I don’t know if the plugin is to blame.
I’ll experiment some more and keep you posted.
If I get the bug again I’ll post the debug info here.

Thanks for the help so far.

3 Likes