Musicbrainz Picard 2.02 / Ubuntu 18.04 / Can't save tags

Howdy,

I’m trying to tag music on my NAS. Permissions are set correctly. I can do this from my macbook & my windows machine - but when I’m using my ubuntu laptop saving the tags doesn’t work - even though the permissions are correct. Under options I do have the save box checked. has anyone ran into this and does anyone have a fix. Thanks in advance.

update - if i copy it from my nas over to my ubuntu laptop documents - i can save tags just fine. i know i’ve got permissions because I can browse my nas directory - add folders / delete folders, etc. but I’d like to be able to do this remotely from my ubuntu laptop to my nas server - and that is not working

How do you access the NAS? Is it mounted to some path? What protocol is used to access the files?

What happens in Picard when you save the files? On success the file’s icon should turn into a green check mark, on error into a red sign.

Also have a look at Help > Sow Error/Debug Log after saving failed and see if there is some error output there.

1 Like

Normally you need the following samba packages to access a NAS from a linux client:

• smbclient
  • cifs-utils

to install them enter this comand in a terminal window:

sudo apt install smbclient cifs-utils

I don’t know if this depends to your problem, but there have been some reported issues related to this:

If it doesn’t work with picard you can use the following as a workaround:

• save/tag to local or USB connected disc
  • krusader has a great synchronizer tool which works fine on client side with samba NAS server

I use it to synchronize only the files which got new Picard tags relationships or new added playcount / rating / lyrics when they got played “on the road”. When I’m at home again I’ll add some nice screenshots…

1 Like

How do you access the NAS? Is it mounted to some path? What protocol is used to access the files?

On my synology NAS i just enabled NFS. Then on my ubuntu laptop I just opened files, clicked on other locations and was able to select my NAS - it prompts for a username and password - then I’m in. I can add delete and modify all files.

What happens in Picard when you save the files? On success the file’s icon should turn into a green check mark, on error into a red sign.

It turns red with a strike through it.

I will check out the Sow Error and report back

thanks - i will check all this info out and report back.

yah - if i just copy the files from my nas, dump them into my files locally i can edit tags and save just fine. I can even put them back on my nas after im done with saved tags.

From the help of Netgear ReadyNAS:

Supported System Services
The ReadyNAS supports the following system services:

Table 1. Supported System Services
Protocol Description Recommendation

• SMB (Server Message Block) Used mainly by Microsoft Windows computers and sometimes by Mac OS >X computers, this protocol is enabled by default. It is sometimes referred to as the CIFS (Common Internet >File Service) file-sharing protocol. SMB uses TCP/IP. If Windows users access your storage system, enable >this protocol.

• AFP (Apple File Protocol) Mac OS X computers use AFP. Your ReadyNAS system supports AFP 3.3. If only Mac OS X users access your storage system, enable this protocol. However, in a mixed Windows and Mac environment, We recommend using SMB only.

• NFS (Network File Service) Linux and Unix computers use NFS. Mac OS X users can access NFS shared folders through console shell access. Your ReadyNAS system supports NFS v3 over UDP and TCP and NFS v4 over TCP. If Linux or Unix users access your storage system, enable this protocol.

• FTP (File Transfer Protocol) and FTPS (FTP with SSL encryption) Many public file upload and download sites use FTP. The ReadyNAS supports anonymous or user access for FTP clients. You can elect to set up port forwarding to nonstandard ports for passive FTP, allowing clients to initiate a connection to the ReadyNAS. If users access your storage system using FTP, enable this protocol.

• iTunes With the iTunes system service enabled, iTunes clients can stream media files from your ReadyNAS system. If you want iTunes clients to use your ReadyNAS server as a media server, enable this protocol.

• ReadyDLNA
    The ReadyDLNA service lets you stream media on your ReadyNAS system to DLNA players such as the Sony
    If you want RLNA players to use your ReadyNAS server as a media server, enable this protocol.

• Rsync Fast file transfer protocol that uses a delta-transfer algorithm that sends only the differences between the source file and the existing file. If users access your storage system from a device that supports Rsync, enable this protocol.

• UPnP (Universal Plug-n-Play) allows UPnP-enabled clients to discover your ReadyNAS system on your LAN.
    If you want clients using UPnP to discover your ReadyNAS system, enable this protocol.

• HTTP (Hypertext Transfer Protocol) and HTTPS (HTTP with SSL encryption) Used on the World Wide Web. If users access your storage system from a device with a web browser, including a smartphone or tablet computer, enable this protocol.

• SNMP You can use SNMP management systems for remote monitoring of your ReadyNAS system. UPS monitoring also uses SNMP services. SNMP-based remote management is not possible. If you want to use SNMP-based management systems to monitor your ReadyNAS system, or want to use UPS services, enable this service.

• SSH Lets you remotely manage the ReadyNAS over an SSH connection. For security reasons, we recommend that you do not enable SSH. If you enable SSH root access, NETGEAR reserves the right to deny you technical support.

• Antivirus
    Your ReadyNAS system comes with free antivirus software that provides real-time virus scans using signature and heuristic algorithms. The antivirus software helps protect your system from viruses, malware, worms, and Trojans.
    If you want to use the supplied antivirus software, enable this service.

• File Search From the local admin page, you can search the files on your ReadyNAS system for file name, content, file type, file extension, size, and dates. If your ReadyNAS system is attached to a Mac, you can also use the Finder to search the files on the ReadyNAS. If you might do file searches on your ReadyNAS, enable this protocol.

By default, SMB and AFP are enabled and FTP and NFS are disabled.

Parent topic: Configure Global Settings for System Services
Previous topic: Basic File-Sharing Concepts
Next topic: Configure System Services

before all of this i had to go into my synology nas control panel and enable the nfs