MusicBrainz not fully indexed by Google

Not necessarily an ‘issue’, potentially a ‘feature’ :wink:

It is up to the artist whether their musical personas are the ‘same’ or not. I don’t really want to see someone’s harsh noise side project that they specifically renamed to keep seperate from their pop identity lumped into one discography.

Google wouldn’t necessarily like that either, because someone searching for one on Google probably doesn’t want to see the top albums (or events or start date etc) from the other displayed at the top of their search.

I would be very curious to know if this circular linking could be the cause of this though (doesn’t seem likely though?)

1 Like

The first part of your statement is what he didn’t want to muddy up the conversation. And that is fine with me.

But for the relevant part regarding search results:
If each of his 4 entries say -
Real name - John Smith
Also performs as - character 1, character 2, character 3
And then there’s not much more written on the first page, that is the sort of the thing that gets considered “duplicate information” and google may not be listing them because of it.

And since each name is a link, that is where it becomes circular. Because you click link one, which takes you to link 2, which takes you back to link 1 which we already said sends you to link 2 - circular.

While I don’t think that this is the issue here, it does apply, generally, to search results.

*EDITED WITH NEW INFORMATION
It is six artist pages.

1 Like

Every website with a menu has internal circular links, I would still be very curious to know if Google sees this as a negative.

Perhaps not having any unique page details is why it’s not showing in the results though, good point.

This seems quite widespread.
eg
I search for
musicbrainz "The Secret Mausoleum Of Mankind: Fetish Miniatures Of The Suicided Races"
expecting to find

etc, etc.
But Google only gives me the work result:

Note, getting Musicbrainz properly Google’d will probably really exacerbate the spam problem we have.

1 Like

Quick update: We confirmed that a lot of pages are missing and have alerted Google. No response so far, but it looks like several million pages of ours were dropped from the index. Pretty much all but the recording level should be indexed by google, but for some reason it isn’t now.

Stay tuned.

7 Likes

I’ve a small concern or two.
Can the servers handle a ? 25% ? increase in traffic over the next 3 months?
Have “Events” also been “not indexed”? Cause if Events soon started to take off and Musicbrainz became the global go-to live music event guide - I think the numbers would be large.

Musicbrainz global gig guide - go live!

2 Likes

If events did take off, we’d add more capacity to our servers, for sure. I’d love to have this problem. :slight_smile:

10 Likes

Myron Rosmarin on Quora wrote: "So, does more content on the web make it easier or harder to choose the 10 best? I would suggest it makes it harder. This is one of the main motivators Google has for limiting the size of their searchable index to just the absolute best content."
This “limiting … to the absolute best content”, if the explanation for the non-indexing of many MusicBrainz pages, would also be a good explanation for why I find Discogs pages that are not indexed either, and notice a general deterioration in finding useful niche search results on Google.

1 Like

Googlebot is currently crawling ~6.5 milions of our pages per day. We can expect better search results soon.

6 Likes

And their usage of “most relevant to you” results don’t make it any better. Local results. Cookies. I want to search the internet!
I sometimes use a VPN to change my location to get different search results.

Apparently, I am very popular on Russian websites. I have more press over there than I do in America. I should consider a tour.

4 Likes

Doesn’t appear to be much improved yet. Anyone else seeing improvements?

(I see my MBS ticket hasn’t been closed yet)

I have seen things that were not previously there - and things that were there but have moved up to the head of the line (page 1 instead of page 6).
That doesn’t mean that the changes are there because of the recent data mining. They could have just as easily been changed because of normal usage.

Either way, the answer is - YES.

1 Like

Would we have better luck trying to get DuckDuckGo to index us?

MB is already on DDG. I do believe they have fewer results than Google.
But DDG does give results that do not show in Google.

They definitely seem to currently have the same situation as MB on Google – the first test search I did on DDG gave no MB results.

I made a tweet asking DuckDuckGo about it:

Let’s see if they respond. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

And they did! … now we need to ask Yahoo the same, it seems :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

I looked into Yahoo!, and it seems like they in turn are using Bing. So I made a Microsoft account and submitted MusicBrainz to their webmaster site thing, now just waiting for @zas to verify it. Hopefully we should be fully (or at least better) indexed by Bing/Yahoo!/DuckDuckGo soon too.

3 Likes

Looks like Morlox at least is better indexed with DuckDuckGo now:
https://duckduckgo.com/?q=morlox+site%3Amusicbrainz.org

2 Likes