Move not working as expected

Tags: #<Tag:0x00007fe320d53698>

I am new to MB here is my environment.
i7-3770
16 GB ram
2- 1tb ssd
Windows 7
I have over 10,000 M4A files in 1500 folders under c:\music and another 1000 m4a in the root of the c:\music folder.
Lookup and scan took over 24 hours. Save is on its 4th day.
I have move option selected to move the matched files to c:\Music_Sorted.

Here is my issue. When saving, a COPY is saved to c:\Music_Sorted. The original remains unchanged in c:\music. I was expecting it to MOVE the file by deleting the original from the source folder. I expected only the unmatched music to be left in the source folder.
My concern is when i process the next batch of files it will take twice as long to process.

Am I looking at this the wrong way??

This might sound like a dumb question, but are your original files read-only?

No the files and folders are not read only.

Thanks for asking…

I recall there being an issue if the source drive was a NAS share, but you mentioned that both source and destination were C:, so that’s not it.

I’m looking through the related tickets in Jira, and haven’t found anything that exactly matches your problem. The closest I found was PICARD-464. I wonder if Windows is slow in releasing the files from the lookup and scan, and that’s making the files appear to be read-only?

You might try with just a few files and see if the log (under Help) shows anything that might help identify the problem. If not, you may have to try turning on the debug logging.

Picard can’t cope with huge amounts of files. For it to be manageable some batch work is necessary.

In any case, I don’t think it will be possible to see what’s happening until Picard has finished processing the current files, or has been restarted.

I am having a similar issue. I kind of rolled my eyes at the question of whether the files were marked “read only”. I had even moved them from a root folder to another to work with them. It turns out that they were marked read only. My downloading program had marked them as such, and when I closed it, it didn’t un-mark them.

A quick right click on the root folder, and propagating it to the sub-folders and files, and I was in business.

Sometimes it pays to check the basics.

6 Likes