- The standard ID3 frame for media is “TMED”
- Vorbis comments are arbitrary
- foobar2000 decided on “MEDIA TYPE” field while MusicBrainz (Picard) chose “MEDIA”
- There is no way to set up custom tag mappings either in foobar2000 or Picard
Because of this I cannot automate tagging of source media information:
- If I tag multiple formats with default settings in Picard, the TMED frame will populate and display properly (under “MEDIA TYPE”) in foobar2000, but all my flac and opus files will show it in a different, unknown field (“MEDIA”)
- If I use Picard’s scripting to change “MEDIA” into “MEDIA TYPE” all tags will display properly in foobar2000, but ID3 will be non-standard: written under “TXXX:Media Type” instead of the proper “TMED” frame
So, am I missing something or do I have to just live with that? Maybe there is a way to bypass it somehow, ie. through forcing Picard to populate different fields depending on the file/tag format?