MBZ not creating a Folder of the artist with subfolder of the LP

I’m having an issue where after I rip a CD and I insert that LP into MBZ to run Plugins Reply Gain 2.0 PLUS remove Perfect LP… MBZ leaves just the all the songs loose inside the folder destination. It should be generating a MASTER folder with the Name of the artist then also create a Folder with the name of the LP THEN it should have all the songs of that LP inside that folder, right?

Why is it leaving all the songs loose with no folder organization?

What exactly do you mean with MBZ?
I currently know MB as abbreviation for MusicBrainz.
Or “MB Picard” or “MBP” für the tagging software.

But what do you mean with “insert into MBZ”?

1 Like

Do you have “Move files” enabled? What’s your tagging script?

2 Likes

And file naming script.

2 Likes

abbreviation for MusicBrainZ

Yes, I have move files enabled. Tagging script is: $num(%tracknumber%,2) - %title% - %artist%

My file naming script is: Tagging script is: $num(%tracknumber%,2) - %title% - %artist%.

But the issue is that MB is not generating a Folder which is named for the artist and a container for the file naming script.

Musicbrainz is the database
Picard is an application that uses the database.
There are other applications that use the database

1 Like

The naming script is the template for both the file names and the folder structure. As your naming script does not contain any definition of folders the files end up flat in the target folder.

You can define folders by separating them with a slash. For your use something like this naming script should work:

$if2(%albumartist%,%artist%)/%album%/$num(%tracknumber%,2) - %title% - %artist%

This will then create an artist folder and an album folder below it. The $if2(%albumartist%,%artist%) will make sure artist will be used as a fallback should albumartist not be set.

There is also a step-by-step guide on writing the naming script at Writing a File Naming Script — MusicBrainz Picard v2.8.5 documentation that could be useful.

3 Likes

Thanks. I implemented the script you provided but it is finding multiple instances. For example. I am getting TWO Bad Company LPs and each instance of the LP has different songs. How can I fix the script so that it finds just ONE instance of the Bad Company LP and combines all the songs under that ONE LP?

Hi! If you follow this order in Picard:

Cluster > Lookup

It will keep clusters together. Scan as well as not clustering files first will not do this.

I tried that but it didn’t fix/work. I think it’s because I have many duplicates.

As said, ‘lookup’ will keep together clusters.

So something is going wrong during the ‘cluster’ step that you’re not specifying - presumably an album is getting put into multiple clusters, because of inconsistent existing tags? Or similar.

I’m busy for a couple of days but if you want to take a break over new years and then do a quick video call I’m happy to help that way, will be much faster, let me know :grin::+1:

do you have multiple copies of the Bad Company Album and or the tracks?
Are they all mp3 files or flacs or a mix?