Mapping question (https://picard.musicbrainz.org/docs/mappings/)

I am confused

Tag TPOS is both discnumber and totaldiscs
Tag TRCK is both tracknumber and totaltracks

How does one know which is which?

Can discnumber and totaldiscs both be entered for the same file?
Can tracknumber and totaltracks be entered for the same file?

If either of the above is possible how?

Is it possible you use max(TPOS)/max(TRCK) to get the totals when the files are grouped?

I am asking because I am trying to get Audacity to pass these values to MusicBrainz Picard using user specified metadata options.

Thanks

The ID3 tags TPOS and TRCK both hold the number and the total number, separated by a slash.

Not sure what you mean. In Picard there are the variables %totaldiscs% and ``%totaltracks%` for that.

Just set the tags “Track Number” and “Part of a set” in audacity accordingly, with number and total separated by a slash. E.g. if you have track 3 of 10 set “Track Number” to 3/10. For disc 2 of 3 set “Part of a set” to 2/3.

2 Likes

The official id3 v2.3 documentation says:

TPOS

The ‘Part of a set’ frame is a numeric string that describes which part of a set the audio came from. This frame is used if the source described in the “TALB” frame is divided into several mediums, e.g. a double CD. The value may be extended with a “/” character and a numeric string containing the total number of parts in the set. E.g. “1/2”.

TRCK

The ‘Track number/Position in set’ frame is a numeric string containing the order number of the audio-file on its original recording. This may be extended with a “/” character and a numeric string containing the total numer of tracks/elements on the original recording. E.g. “4/9”.

2 Likes