macOS 10.15 Cataline - Error Message on Attempt to Install Update 2.2.2

I have been using Picard for quite some years, but this is the first time I’ve encountered anything like this. In attempting to install 2.2.2 update, I get the following system error message:

“MusicBrainz Picard” can’t be opened because Apple cannot check it for malicious software.

It then tells me to contact the developer. The system simply won’t allow me to install the update - nor, actually, do I want to given the nature of the message. Please advise.

2 Likes

it is not a hard to get around go to system preferences then go to security and privacy and clicking “Open anyway.” i had the same problem i forgot how to get around it

4 Likes

Welcome to the new Catalina feature. Apple wants you to use their App Store, so anything that is not from the store needs extra certification.

@st3v3p pointed you in the correct way. For any software that you know you can trust, you can tell the computer to allow it.

It is silly that Apple made this so hidden. Loads of perfectly safe Apps are being caught up in this daft “feature”.

I read a bit about this on El’Reg this week. Some details in there for @outsidecontext about getting the app signed. https://www.theregister.co.uk/2019/10/23/libreoffice_latest_victim_of_curse_of_catalina/

Works.

I can add that you should go the ‘General’ tab.

2 Likes

No, sorry, that’s not what’s happening here. I’ve never seen this message before, and I have my system set to allow installations I download.

This is very different.

In fact, when I go to the System Preferences | Security | Install anyway button, I get the same error message again. There is something wrong with your installer, it’s not Apple.

FYI, here is the message. As you can see it is not your typical “this is not from a recognized developer” warning. I’ve never seen this one before, and I’ve been using macOS for twenty-five years.

I cannot install it on my macOS Catalina system. I get an error message that states “Apple cannot check this file for malware. Please contact the developer.”

That’s exactly the message talked about here. The reason you have never seen it before is that it is a message Apple introduced with Catalina.

If Security & Privacy does not work for you, you can also add an exception for Picard by Control-clicking the app icon and select Open.

Please see Apple’s documentation for details:

With macOS Catalina Apple changed the requirements for applications and all applications distributed outside the macOS store must be submitted for a malware scan. So far we have not done the necessary work to our build infrastructure to support this for Picard.

3 Likes

just remember only do this with apps you know are safe. picard is one of the safe ones

1 Like

For reference, the task to update the Picard app builds is tracked here:

3 Likes

So there is progress, we have our build system updated. I’m looking for help testing this, see

4 Likes