Long Format Videos of Interest to the MBz Nerd Community

This video sets out to figure out who really made the original Roblox “Oof” sound (spoiler: it was (most likely) Joey Kuras)… and takes a massive detour to unravel (some of) all the lies that Tommy Tallarico keep telling about himself. It ends up with discussing how a lot of artists involved with creating video games go unrecognised (like the mostly female Capcom Sound Team) and how important it is to record/archive history as it happens (like we’re doing!) and other talk about video game music in general.

After watching this, I’m curious how many of Tallarico’s credits need fixing…

7 Likes

incredible video, I kept going “He didn’t, he didn’t, HE DID” throughout. I half expected him to ask if his name really was Tommy Tallarico!~

I’ve posted this video on the forums before, but it reminds me of jan misali’s video on Caramelldansen, a tale of lost media, historical revisionism, and balsamic vinegar:

(it also reminds me of Internet Historian’s videos The Fall of 76 and The Engoodening of No Man’s Sky, but those are more video game related, not really music related)

3 Likes

I hate to double-post, but in the comments of the OOF video, someone mentioned Defunctland also did a video recently in a similar vein

I never even watched the Disney Channel, but I found the deep dive into production music absolutely fascinating~

5 Likes

I’ve started this, it’s great so far :smiley:

absolutely amazing watch - I agree production music is such a dark-art :smiley:

2 Likes

Not really that long of a video; but interesting either way… I love craptronics (as I call them) for this exact reason!

4 Likes

Adam Neely hitting it out of the park yet again~ all about copyright and the concept of owning a ham sandwich music

edit: also makes me wonder how many works we can connect to I Got Rhythm

3 Likes

More odd audio hardware time!

3 Likes

I feel validated with what was #1 considering my damning review of it

3 Likes

very interesting watch~

3 Likes

I know it’s not quite “long format”, but I think the ideas put forth here could be put to good use in MusicBrainz/ListenBrainz~ it’s definitely “of Interest to the MBz Nerd Community”, tho… :wink:

3 Likes

with the discussion about AI-generated music and whatnot, it’s quite timely that Tom Scott just did a video touching on it

1 Like

probably already well known to many here, but interesting anyway

I feel this needs to be here

6 Likes

Another good one from Techmoan: How a forgotten 1949 Format War shaped the future of records - YouTube

3 Likes

An interesting one about the need and relevance of music critique

3 Likes

Polyphonic is back with another banger~

2 Likes

Not the newest but enjoyable

3 Likes

Music Censorship & The PMRC:

3 Likes

Watching it for like the 2nd time. Friend of mine linked this to someone a while back when some news and got me watching it again. It’s such a wild ride.