Long Format Videos of Interest to the MBz Nerd Community

I enjoyed this documentation of the history of the MiniDisc format. I still regret having given away my portable MD player / recorder :smiley:

10 Likes

2 posts were split to a new topic: In remembrance of MiniDiscs

I posted this somewhere on here a while back, but I’ll add it here too~

PergProductions made a great series on the history of metal and it’s many subgenres. even if you’re not really into metal, it’s still quite a fun watch~ the playlist is below, or here’s the first video in the series

(I know, it’s technically more than one video…) :wink:

6 Likes

An introduction to music trackers:

10 Likes

:point_up: Ahoy is pretty great! does a lot of video game/computer history videos too~ I was literally just listening to 4mat, one of the tracker musicians he mentions!

just about anything Polyphonic has made is real interesting~ really enjoyed his recent look at House of the Rising Sun, but I always like to share Carol Kaye:

3 Likes

As a purveyour of budget releases this is an entertaining watch, maybe we could become the database that can accurately identify these re-recordings!

7 Likes

Analysis/production video by Ken Marshall, known as mixing engineer for a variety of post-industrial bands, including Front Line Assembly and Skinny Puppy. In this video he breaks down the song I. E. D. from 2010 FLA’s album “Improvised Electronic Device” (industrial-metal/electro-industrial), track by track. 50 minutes long and very informative.

2 Likes

I feel like this is a strangely wasteful product

4 Likes

Thought, have we captured any ringtones yet? :nerd_face: seems like something @UltimateRiff would be interested in

4 Likes

Another entry, another interesting and concise dive into a British institution

I’ve been following this podcaster for about a year now. She does a weekly series called Multi Level Mondays that covers multilevel marketing companies and other scams. One episode deals with BurnLounge, a now-defunct MLM that dealt in digital music downloads:

4 Likes

Thank you! Fascinating topic!!

I’ve gone deep into the MLM tunnels (not joining them hah, just reading…) and it’s fascinating! I’ve actually been looking for rips of MLM ‘training tapes’ for ages. Sub-orgs of MLMs like Amway pump them out like crazy, in their thousands, but it’s actually quite hard to find any online in full.

If anyone has an aunty with a bunch of that crap lying around, hook me up :grin:

If anyone curious, here is a full rip off an older one that someone in Discord was kind enough to point out: How To Earn $550.00 Cash : Matt Dalley : Free Download, Borrow, and Streaming : Internet Archive

P.s. fascinating in a morbid curiosity sense - pyramid schemes are a blight upon the earth. But there’s some interesting psychology involved.

2 Likes

I was going to recommend checking out Uncommon Ephemera on YouTube, as they had a collection of obscure media like this. Unfortunately they took their entire collection down upon receiving complaints from copyright trolls :sob:

whelp, I guess this video proves me a little bit wrong… lol

5 Likes

This makes me feel c r e a t i v e :smiley:

1 Like

This video sets out to figure out who really made the original Roblox “Oof” sound (spoiler: it was (most likely) Joey Kuras)… and takes a massive detour to unravel (some of) all the lies that Tommy Tallarico keep telling about himself. It ends up with discussing how a lot of artists involved with creating video games go unrecognised (like the mostly female Capcom Sound Team) and how important it is to record/archive history as it happens (like we’re doing!) and other talk about video game music in general.

After watching this, I’m curious how many of Tallarico’s credits need fixing…

7 Likes

incredible video, I kept going “He didn’t, he didn’t, HE DID” throughout. I half expected him to ask if his name really was Tommy Tallarico!~

I’ve posted this video on the forums before, but it reminds me of jan misali’s video on Caramelldansen, a tale of lost media, historical revisionism, and balsamic vinegar:

(it also reminds me of Internet Historian’s videos The Fall of 76 and The Engoodening of No Man’s Sky, but those are more video game related, not really music related)

3 Likes

I hate to double-post, but in the comments of the OOF video, someone mentioned Defunctland also did a video recently in a similar vein

I never even watched the Disney Channel, but I found the deep dive into production music absolutely fascinating~

5 Likes

I’ve started this, it’s great so far :smiley:

absolutely amazing watch - I agree production music is such a dark-art :smiley:

2 Likes