ListenBrainz + MusicBrainz? šŸ’”

A thought on how to integrate MB and LB some more. What if you could see what albums youā€™ve listened to, and how much, in MB?

Also a play button, that either takes you to ListenBrainz, or displays the LB the player component in the MB window.

Rough mockups - please donā€™t fixate on details.

Note: The ā€˜Listensā€™ toggle next to ā€˜Filterā€™ would toggle between your stats and global stats. A few other things are missing but you get the gist.

Alternate version with stats in sidebar

16 Likes

Definitely think the ā€œwidgetā€ thing looks best in the top right corner :smiley:

3 Likes

I feel like there could be a big toggle at the top to turn this on/off, allowing for much stronger overlays than what Iā€™ve done there. Really highlight played vs unplayed albums!

It would be so cool if you could toggle this on any pageā€¦ collections etc. Buttons to show stats for your listens on that entity, or compare to another users listens. Someone go code it :stuck_out_tongue:

If anyoneā€™s wondering, @akshaaatt has already been devā€™ing stronger tables:

3 Likes

begone bot! zzzap bang

1 Like

Iā€™m not too sure a play button is a good idea (since it moves MB dangerously close to ā€œstreaming siteā€ territory, even if all it does behind the scenes is call another service).

But otherwise I think adding statistics like these is long overdue, since it massively reduces the perception of Metabrainz projects existing as their own isolated islands.

(nitpick: I would much prefer an ā€œaverage listens per monthā€ or ā€œlistens last monthā€ counter to a global all-time counter, since the latter is naturally biased for older entities)

4 Likes

What about the funky ListenBrainz logo? That might look nice

3 Likes

My thinking was: If a random internet user stumbles upon a MB entry, what will make them interact?

For me #1 was a play button. It was originally just a ā€˜linkā€™ icon but I changed it.

But agreed that it is a slippery slope re. being clear on what the function of each MetaBrainz site is. I donā€™t really want it getting too fuzzy either.

Since weā€™re in FantasyBrainz, letā€™s make that selectable in the ā€˜Listensā€™ dropdown/toggles :grin:

3 Likes

Sorry for making yet another RYM comparison, but I think the way they integrated the ā€œplayā€ button on release pages is quite seamless and not disruptive enough for anyone think that RYM is a streaming service. I think that as long as itā€™s just a widget and not a focal section of the page, it wonā€™t detract anyone from the main point of MB.

Also, I prefer LB stats as a section in the sidebar along with all the other stat info. But maybe itā€™s just me, because I simply love this tiling design!

2 Likes

Oh, I didnā€™t know they had that! Thatā€™s an easy candidate for the sidebar (they donā€™t have more than one play button per page, maybe Iā€™m expecting people to want a level of granularity that they actually donā€™t).

Before click:

After click:
(doesnā€™t play in-page, they are links)

edit: now that I think about it, this is functionally the exact same as the ā€˜stream atā€¦ā€™ link we already have on MB pages. But the presentation is much more ā€˜action orientatedā€™ (e.g. press the play button to play)

7 Likes

For anyone who wants to have a taste of what the interaction could be like, Iā€™ve made this userscript: MusicBrainz UserScript: play on ListenBrainz Ā· GitHub

Note: this does not represent the design efforts aerozol is working on, I just put this together quickly for myself.

4 Likes

:heart_eyes::ok_hand:

p.s. not really important, but this script doesnā€™t seem to play nice with ropdebeeā€™s import cover art script if anyone is having trouble there

5 Likes

Thanks for reporting the issue!
I donā€™t want to hijack the thread, just letting everyone know Iā€™ve updated the userscript to fix the issue, sorry about breaking your stuff !

1 Like

Maybe some sort of footer/player would not be too intrusive and kept on top while we navigate MB

Like on this siteā€¦