Linux Mint 19.3 xfce and Picard

I have the permissions issue with writing changes to mp3 files and itr seems to be only xfce as ubuntu gnome does not have this issue. Either its Picard with regards to permissions or its xfce file manager.

E: 10:30:24 Traceback (most recent call last):
File “/usr/lib/picard/picard/util/thread.py”, line 46, in run
result = self.func()
File “/usr/lib/picard/picard/file.py”, line 210, in _save_and_rename
self._save(old_filename, metadata)
File “/usr/lib/picard/picard/formats/id3.py”, line 420, in _save
self._save_tags(tags, encode_filename(filename))
File “/usr/lib/picard/picard/formats/id3.py”, line 526, in _save_tags
tags.save(filename, v2_version=3, v1=v1, v23_sep=separator)
File “/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/mutagen/_util.py”, line 158, in wrapper
return func(*args, **kwargs)
File “/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/mutagen/_util.py”, line 128, in wrapper
writable, create) as h:
File “/usr/lib/python2.7/contextlib.py”, line 17, in enter
return self.gen.next()
File “/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/mutagen/_util.py”, line 227, in _openfile
raise MutagenError(e)
MutagenError: [Errno 13] Permission denied: ‘/home/main/Music/test mp3 /Blue (Da Ba Dee) EM.mp3’

D: 10:30:24 Updating file <File u’Blue (Da Ba Dee) EM.mp3’>

It’s neither nor, it is the actual permission which are set on a filesystem level. Have you checked the actual permissions on /home/main/Music/test mp3 /Blue (Da Ba Dee) EM.mp3 and the containing folder /home/main/Music/test mp3 /?

If in doubt post the output of ls -l "/home/main/Music/test mp3 /Blue (Da Ba Dee) EM.mp3".

2 Likes

The output was

-r–rw-rw- 1 main main 6199748 Dec 24 2015 ‘/home/main/Music/test mp3 /Blue (Da Ba Dee) EM.mp3’

Are you running Picard under the main user account or with a different user? What are the permissions of the folder?

After the the output of the ls -l above I decided to check each file in the mp3 folder. I did not notice a big detail a little padlock on each file. I changed the read only to read and write. Now the Picard can save the data. Its these little things that can be over looked. though why would the file manager lock them? I am trying to understand.

Sometimes when you copy files from CD\DVD the read-only is left set.

The waves were read only access and that followed into the mp3 conversation. I set the permissions for the wave like the mp3 files than converted them to mp3 all were unlocked. I was really over thinking this issue.

Thanks all you helped me