Link to private facebook pages?

I think a key question here is:
Do we want to link to URLs that cannot be verified by everybody/anybody (but only a subset of people)?
If we include private facebook URLs, that means the workflow is something like “Hey, I think Joe Rocker’s facebook is dead, can someone with a facebook account check on it to confirm?”
At the moment, I’d guess that the majority of MB editors have facebook accounts, so not much of a big deal, but, uh, slippery slope, or something.

Oh, another thought – the workflow becomes more complicated if an artist’s facebook page can only be viewed in certain countries.

1 Like

We link to region-locked YouTube channels even though YouTube is not transparent about why they won’t give you a channel back for your URL.

2 Likes

We put in Spotify and iTunes links, so private facbook stuff is the same. Data is checked by people with accounts. And now we have dates \ expired options on the URLs they don’t need deleting and can be resurrected.

1 Like

Yes, we do. Particularly “the majors” (Facebook, iTunes, etc). With 1/3 of the world’s population (over two billion users) on Facebook, it isn’t a ‘subset’.
Now, if you want to talk about some of the questionable sites, some of which I am too afraid to even click on…

Using me as an example - my browser doesn’t support Amazon Music. I can’t verify it, I get a splash page, therefore I don’t add it. Does that mean it shouldn’t exist?
*in my case, it isn’t about having an Amazon account or not. It is my old browser.