Link to private facebook pages?

And that is why, I only link to social media on the instances I mentioned above.
Not everyone is a “rock star”, and if they aren’t promoting themselves as such, I try to let them have the pictures of their grandchildren. If you think about it, that sort of page doesn’t do this site any good anyhow - other than for identification.

I mean, my facebook page certainly isn’t filled with anything that is of any interest to this site. I can only imagine that others are the same. I guess that is called “The Golden Rule”, right. Do unto others and all that kind of stuff.

A lot of us contact artists and labels for various things. Can’t hurt. The worst that can happen is they ignore you.

Yeah, so back to the policy discussion…

I personally don’t think we should have a policy not to link personal/private Facebook pages across the board.

1 Like

The one you got a 404 from before was a personal account/profile, this one is a Facebook “page”, meaning it’s not an actual account, but rather a place to promote something.

In general, I’d say link to all pages, whether log-in only or not, but either do not link to personal profiles at all (they’re not a feature intended for fan following) or do it only if it’s very clearly advertised as the artist’s Facebook presence.

2 Likes

It’s often difficult to check/gather information from Facebook without a Facebook account. I understand wanting these links even if they are only accessible to some MB users, but it’s frustrating for me. (I know this isn’t exactly what this thread is about).

Could someone (with a Facebook account) check on these two Facebook pages linked to MB artist Lil Keed (Lil Keed - MusicBrainz) and remove/mark inactive as appropriate?

https://www.facebook.com/1lilkeed

1 Like

IMO no need to try to understand the multiple levels of Private in social network terms:

Private equals not public.

So if we (non members of social networks) cannot see the page, we don’t link it to MB. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

It’s my understanding that all Facebook pages are non-public and require a Facebook account to view them. Does this mean we should remove all Facebook links? I believe Twitter (and even Instagram, maybe?) allow pages to be viewed in a web browser without an account.

EDIT: Just spot-checked a few Instagram accounts and it appears it’s the same as Facebook, no access to any pages without an account.

1 Like

Some Facebook accounts can be viewed without an account, but you can’t see more than a cursory overview.
Instagram is similar; they’ll let you view the overview of the most recent posts but scroll too far or try to view a post directly* and they’ll force you to log into an account to go further.

*As of this writing, this can be circumvented by opening the post in a new tab. I can’t speak for whether this trick will work forever.

Could you give me an example? Any page I attempt to access shows me:

EDIT: Seems I can see some details on mobile, but desktop Firefox/Chrome won’t show me anything.

Example of a personal Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/dimathegreat

Example of an artist page:
https://www.facebook.com/barrymanilow

I don’t have a Facebook account at all (never have, never will) and I can view both of these pages fine.

1 Like

They work on mobile for me, but not on desktop… Do they work on desktop for anyone without an account?

1 Like

I’m operating off a MacBook Pro, so I guess that counts as desktop.

1 Like

When logged out (on desktop): Works with residential DE IP. Doesn’t work with VPN US IP for me.

Update
Works when logged out using Tor hidden service. Doesn’t work when using regular exit node

1 Like

There does not seem to be a consensus (or a policy) on this. I defitely side with jesus2099 here.

1 Like

Instagram has started limiting the amount of pages you can view. After so many, they all come up as “please log in”.
Of course, clearing out your cookies resets the counter.
And I believe this applies only to ‘people’. Celebrity accounts continue to work.

But, as to the issue at hand:
If I am not a Facebook user, there would be no reason for me to click on Rockstar Joe’s Facebook page.
And, as far as editing goes - if I don’t have a Facebook account, how would I even find Rockstar Joe’s Facebook page? If I see him linking to it from his Twitter or homepage, then I would feel safe to add it to MB even if I cannot verify its existence. If it is no longer valid, a Facebook user can mark it as ended.

6 Likes

The one is a complete page. The other is that half page sort of thing where it is only basic data.
But neither ask me to log in until I scroll too far.

I don’t have accounts but already used FB or Twitter to find some release dates.
It’s unfortunate that FB is more and more blocking non members.
We should less and less link it, IMO. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Twitter seems to have recently tightened restrictions on what non-members can access as well. I don’t like it, but I think discouraging MB linking to those sources is counterproductive. We’re not going to change their policies, and for those who do have accounts there is often information not available anywhere else.

4 Likes