Library Music Genre and Soundtrack Release Group Type

Looking at a production music release group, Background Music N. 4, I see that the original editor has not set a secondary type. However, the editor who submitted another release group in that series, Release group “Background Music N. 2” by Arawak - MusicBrainz, has set the secondary type to Soundtrack.

In order to create some consistency, I was going to remove the secondary type from Release group “Background Music N. 2” by Arawak - MusicBrainz. My thought is that, while production music can be used in a soundtrack, it wasn’t created as a soundtrack with a particular performance in mind. I am still somewhat torn, however and would like to know the community’s thoughts before I make any changes.

I guess what I am asking boils down to: Should any production music release groups have the secondary type of soundtrack?

3 Likes

I don’t believe so, because you’re correct, it wasn’t created for a soundtrack, but was perhaps made to be used as a soundtrack

2 Likes

An album that only consists of instrumental tracks is not necessarily the musical score to a movie, TV series, stage show, video game, or other medium. I’d also unset Soundtrack if that’s not what the album is.

2 Likes

I wouldn’t tag these as soundtracks either. There are also lots of releases about that aren’t necessarily production music, but have accompanying text like ‘contact for licensing’. It would be weird to have them marked as soundtracks, because they could one day become one!

Tagging @Darkloke who I’ve seen adding buckets of production music.

1 Like

Thanks, @aerozol, for calling me here, but I dont pretend to be an expert in this area. :slight_smile: Still, I agree, that production music shouldnt have a “soundtrack” type but rather its own. This, btw, is about not only secondary type, but primary also - while adding a release from digital store you can treat it as a real album, but if this release doesnt have a public version and you are adding it to MB from production music site directly - then its a some kind of “source”, where almost every track has a bunch of alternative versions, which in most cases never released publicly. I suppose this is the same case as for movies with publicly available OSTs/scores and unavailable/bootleg recording sessions, compete scores, etc.

1 Like

Thanks to everybody for the replies.

As a quick aside, I’d like to say that I’m really enjoying contributing to MusicBrainz and this kind of interaction is a big part of why I’m enjoying it.

2 Likes