LB-431 Last.fm api returns track mbid instead of recording mbid for new scrobbles

Hi,

Since around 4 or 5 months, scrobbles import from Last.fm into LB are track MBID instead of recording MBID. Maybe I’m alarmist but isn’t a bug that should be corrected quickly to avoid more data error? Because correct all the wrong MBID already import could be difficult to replace by the right one?

2 Likes

I’ve just noticed this, too when I imported my last.fm scrobbles to ListenBrainz recently. I get Recording Not Found but changing the URL to /track/ shows the correct track. Wonder how it’d be fixed on the ListenBrainz side though, since judging from the ticket, it’s last.fm forcefully providing incorrect details and therefore ListenBrainz interpreting it incorrectly.

1 Like

Never trust any MBIDs from the Last.fm API. It really is that simple.

This needs taking more seriously. The biggest cause of garbage MBIDs in the listenbrainz database right is your very own last.fm importer. I imported my last.fm history earlier today and every single link on the first page is a track ID, not a recording ID.

https://listenbrainz.org/user/marc2k3

First entry on page:

https://musicbrainz.org/recording/69a49e39-32d9-3724-a7a4-f40f4f25de35 << not a valid recording

Replace recording with track

Release “Instinct” by Niki and the Dove - MusicBrainz << works

The MBIDs were not submitted by me. It’s purely last.fm’s problem but you guys should have discarded the MBIDs when it was first reported. Look how long ago it was too…

3 Likes

Sorry about that, we’ve pushed a fix where we’re storing MBIDs from last.fm in a field that is not the default recording mbid field. So for now, you can delete your listens and reimport to fix the problem with your library.

We haven’t had the capacity to go back and actually clean the old data up, and I’m not sure we’ll get the chance soon.

2 Likes

Thanks for the following :slight_smile:
Will it help to keep them in view of a resolution is one day?

1 Like

If deleting listens would cause you to lose data, I wouldn’t, but if you have all of your data in last.fm, I’d delete and re-import. I don’t think the clean up will get much priority any time soon given our capacity, now that GSoC is also coming to an end. Sorry!

1 Like

No prob, it’s ok for me :wink:
Thanks.

1 Like

Thanks for fixing this!

1 Like