I am struggling with judgment criteria of cover, and work arrangement, as official documents are having a contradiction.
I am editing relationship between original song and arranged song which has modified lyrics.
How to Use Works - MusicBrainz says:
That is, if your work has an extra lyricist who added more lyrics, an extra composer who added more music, or a translator, you’ll need to add a separate work (which you should then link to the original work).
So, the arranged should have a separate work, and probably needs Work-Work arrangement relationship. But, Relationship Type / Arrangement - MusicBrainz page says:
This seems to be making a kind-of-conflict: one says separate the work, the other says don’t do that. This might be a degree-problem, depending on the difference of work where the criteria is undocumented, which are making me confused.
Let me have an example of struggle. Which relationship should they have? (sorry, work / recordings not registered yet.) Following songs are sung by same artists, but are different versions.
Num) Song name : explanation
- さなだ虫: original
- さなだ虫（オリジナルカラオケ）: Karaoke version of 1)
- さなだ虫2000: completely different lyrics, different lyricist, but same melody as original 1).
- さなだ虫2000スーパー: Same lyrics and melody as 3) さなだ虫2000, with different instrumental tracks.
- さなだ虫〜リターンズ〜: From title, it seems like an arrangement of original 1), but having different lyrics, different melody.
- さなだ虫（20周年バージョン）: 2 words added to end of the lyrics of original 1), and as a result, addition of a-bit-of melodies. Though the difference is only 2 words, its making strong punch line showing 20 years has passed from original 1)
I am feeling to have following defenitions and relationships of works and recordings.
Work a): has recording: 1).
Recording 2) has a relationship of Karaoke with 1)
Work b): arrangement of Work a); has recorings: 3) and 4).
Work c): has recording: 5).
Work d): arrangement of Work a); has recording 6)
For recording 2), I’ve put relationship with 1) instead of work a), as it has same arrangement as 1). (no documented guidelines?)
For recording 3), I’ve put different Work b) and made arrangement relationship between works, though it is kind-of-inhibitted to make arrange relationship in pop music. This is because completely different lyric is different work (see Work - MusicBrainz)
6) is difficult. In MB, there are many many recordings defined as ‘cover’ even though there are several tens of modification done in lyrics. As 6) has only 2 additional words, this seems to be ‘cover’ case. But, the additional 2 words succeded to show 20 years has passed from original song (work) 1) effectively, which means this is different work.
Any documented criteria for the dicision criteria? Or, any documented examples of dicision? How do you feel about above dicision I made?