JSON release response returns track artist-credit AND recording artist-credit?

If I try that lookup:
http://musicbrainz.org/ws/2/release/aff46490-6ec1-45ae-b00f-a25a5f02e6e6?inc=recordings+artist-credits&fmt=json
and look** at the second track called “Jump, Jump (DJ Tomek kommt)”, I can see that we get the artist-credit section twice, once for the track and once for the recording:

Can someone please explain the meaning of this redundant information?

** I use a this exentsion on Google Chrome to get a better overview over the returned JSON data.

This is perfect from my point of view.
I do use both data in one of my scripts.
It is not redundant as the values are far from being always the same. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thanks for your response @jesus2099
Why should the artist-credit for a track not be the same as for the recording?
Do you know such real live examples?

Or the other way:
Which one of this artist-credits do you use to rename your local song?

Among other things (note that it is the same for track titles being different from their recording titles):

• translated tracklists
  • transcripted tracklists
  • classical recording artists are the performers but their track artists are the writers

If I wanted to tag some rip for my PC, I would use the track data, because it reflects the release I am ripping.

5 Likes

Originally released on the album “Skrillex and Diplo Present Jack Ü” crediting "Jack Ü with Justin Bieber"
When Bieber released his album this was credited as “Justin Bieber feat. Diplo & Skrillex”

Both these are correct and contain the same people but they must have decided to change the order and credit the people and not the collaboration.

7 Likes