Joining Releases into Release Groups

Hello Everybody,

I know of two releases of the same recording:

From how I understand Release Groups, It would make sense to have these in the same one, however the releases should of course stay together and not have their disks renumbered. Is there a recommended way of doing this?

Regards,

hollander

Maybe I’m misunderstanding your concerns, but you should be able to just open the pages for the release groups (Release group “Orfeo ed Euridice” by Christoph Willibald Gluck, Kathleen Ferrier, Greet Koeman & Nel Duval - MusicBrainz and Release group “Orfeo ed Euridice” by Christoph Willibald Gluck; Kathleen Ferrier, Greet Koeman, Nel Duval, Chorus and Orchestra of Netherlands Opera & Charles Bruck - MusicBrainz) and click the “Merge” link in the right column of each. The releases’ media and tracklists won’t be changed (since you’re merging the release groups, not the releases).

I think that you should probably merge into Release group “Orfeo ed Euridice” by Christoph Willibald Gluck; Kathleen Ferrier, Greet Koeman, Nel Duval, Chorus and Orchestra of Netherlands Opera & Charles Bruck - MusicBrainz since it was added to the database earlier (even though its release has a later release date than the 1989 release that you added) – there are lots of opinions in Merging Works - Oldest or most complete target?, though. I believe that the release group’s artist credits should match those of the earlier 1989 release, however.

I’m not a classical style guide expert, but both releases’ artist credits seem to have some issues with not matching what’s on the uploaded cover images. The 1989 release doesn’t abbreviate the composer’s name the same way as the cover, doesn’t credit the orchestra and chorus, and credits additional performers who aren’t listed on the cover. The 2004 release is much closer but credits “Chorus and Orchestra of Netherlands Opera” instead of “Chorus & Orchestra of Netherlands Opera”.

3 Likes

I agree with Derat. What you want to do is merge the release groups, not the releases. That way the individual releases will remain intact.

I would do the merge and worry about the credits after the merge has been applied, in case any of the edits might cause the system to see a conflict, and cause the merge to fail.

4 Likes