ISBN included in description of ID type on Work

This is just minor thing. I noticed that the description for identifiers on the Work includes ISBN. My reaction was why would you add an ISBN to a Work, but on investigation it isn’t possible. It would be a helpful to remove it from the description.

1 Like

Have you and @indy133 checked out the MetaBrainz/BookBrainz ticket tracker?

https://tickets.metabrainz.org/secure/Dashboard.jspa

We are blessed with some very active BookBrainz devs, but FYI it’s still always helpful to make a ticket for things you’d like to see fixed.

The developers usually assign their time to a ticket. So, you can imagine that after they’ve made their coffee in the morning, and settle down at the compy, a nicely explained and achievable ticket will be tempting for them to hamster away at :stuck_out_tongue:

Rather than combing feedback, translating it into a ticket, and then starting work on it.

Not that there’s anything wrong with posting in the forums, it’s awesome, but you two seem like the kind of ‘power users’ that might want to get straight into the guts of it! Any questions fire away.

2 Likes

Thanks for that information but I once accessed the ticket site and I said WTF. This old dog has his limitations. It is lucky that I can remember how to switch the computer on some days.

My understanding of computer programming is zilch. I once coded an animation of a camel walking across the desert in BASIC on a Tandy TRS-80 and I was so underwhelmed by the result that I never bothered again🤓

2 Likes

Hah, I thought the same for years, but then I realized it’s a simple as:

• click create
  • project: BookBrainz
  • issue type: Improvement (or whatever)

Then just write what you wrote here.

We’re often asking a dev or a volunteer to spend hours fixing something, so a few minutes wrestling with the ticket system is a small price! But again, no pressure, consider it the lightest of nudges :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

P.s. It really did take me years

1 Like

OK that makes sense. Probably the jargon on some of the tickets made me feel rather inadequate, but if plain English is sufficient then I’m happy to create a ticket or two.

20 minutes later: I have just created my first ticket: [BB-660] Remove ISBN from description of identifier type on Work page - MetaBrainz JIRA

Who said old dogs can’t learn new tricks🐕

3 Likes

Wow! You gained a new title: Ticket Creator :hammer_and_wrench:

Since I’m mostly reporting bugs, it will take a while for my first ticket creation, I think.
But the time will come :wink:

Thanks to both of you for considering it :slight_smile:

For what it’s worth @indy133 you can also report bugs by selecting the issue type:

2 Likes

Yes, that was one of the first things I saw when I was new here. I couldn’t reach a forum (no existing link). There was just this tiny little button “Report a Bug” :wink:
But I think most of the bugs should be announced and discussed first. Eg. the lag bug, if it hadn’t been posted in the forum, I still would blame my PC for this nuisance.

3 Likes

Wowww, much faster than my 7 years or whatever :joy::tada::tada:

Tickets don’t replace the forums of course! I usually put a link to the forum thread on the ticket and vice versa.

2 Likes

Good tip, I have added this to my ticket.

You had me going there for awhile @indy133 until I looked at my achievements. Possibly a badge that is going to be introduced in 2025 (the same year that you are going to reply to my publisher topic):face_with_raised_eyebrow: