Is there an easy way to add an 85 CD Release?

I want to add a release with 85 CDs.

I know about “Copy Cluster To Clipboard” and “Add Cluster As Release”. But they don’t seem to support multiple CDs in a single release. Or am I missing something?

I am looking for some automated way so I don’t have to repeat any action “85” times.

Thank you.

1 Like

You have 85 copy and pastes ahead of you. But you can save the Release with only a couple of CDs and then add the next CDs over the next few days.

It would be REALLY handy if someone could update Copy Cluster to Release to read Disc Numbers.

“Add Cluster As Release” does support multiple CDs. But you need to have the “discnumber” tag set for all files in the cluster.

3 Likes

Perhaps this 85-CDs release can be imported from another source, it would ease your work.
Can you tell which release it is (title/artists/label/catno and/or barcode)?

5 Likes

Ooo - that is good to know. Can always hack that in via MP3TAG. I used their auto-numbering the other week on a multiple disc set. Their tool will work with folders to setup the disc numbers. Made it easier to present Picard with a 24CD set I was tagging.

1 Like

Release: Seon - Excellence In Early Music
Label: SEON
Barcode: 8 88320 89382 5
Original Release Date : 2014

Covers
Discogs Entry
Amazon Australia

Looks like the discogs uploader just copied the book, one entry per CD. We have scripts to import from there, but it won’t help the tracks per CD.

How many tracks are on each CD? And how far have you gone with the tagging of your own digital rips?

1 Like

Each CD has ~15 tracks. Thats easily ~1300 tracks.

I haven’t started tagging; was really counting on musicbrainz.

This is the file list for perusal.

So in this case I would probably first giver over the files and make sure they have both a discnumber and tracknumber tag. In Picard you can select the ~15 files of one disc, then add or edit the discnumber tag.

If the disc or track number is not in the tags but e.g. in the filename you could also use Tools > Tags From Filenames to generate the discnumber tag (see also the documentation).

Then cluster them. Make sure all end up in the same cluster. If not make sure all files have the same album tag, then they will cluster together.

Once all files have the tags and are clustered you can use “Add Cluster as Release”.

5 Likes

Are your CDs in folders? If yes, then MP3TAG can autonumber the disc numbers and track numbers for all 1300 tracks with just a few clicks. No need to manually cluster 85 CDs and number each one separately. One button, every track and disc numbered.

You’ll also need to work out how the 15 parts are being named. Is this as “track 1, track 2”? Or will it be “Paschale Mysterium, part 1” etc?

I am not dissing Picard here as it is great, but bulk naming an 85 disc set from a zero start is a trick that MP3TAG can pull off with less clicks. The ability to bulk copy between text files and tags can be a huge time saver.

What are the files currently called? I am used to doing this stuff in MP3TAG and can help guide.

Once the basic tags are in place, then we can feed Picard clusters to upload to the database. That is when Picards skills really kick in - database integration.

1 Like

I am on Linux so I used the closest thing to MP3Tag: puddletag

I have set track and disc numbers. Puddletag doesn’t seem to support “total discs” and “disc subtitle”.

If I (can) set disc subtitle using picard will that be used when I add the release?

Also can I add a track to musicbrainz without an artist?

@outsidecontext

1 Like

No, the addrelease plugin currently does not do it. But it could be extended to do so. Looking at the documentation at Development / Seeding / Release Editor - MusicBrainz there is even more data that plugin could submit if available, e.g. barcode, release date or label.

Depending on why there is not artist there are several special purpose artists available to use. E.g. use [no artist] if there is indeed no artist for this track, or [unknown] if there is an artist but it is not know who. There are also some special cases for particular use cases, e.g. [nature sounds] is a special case of [no artist].

2 Likes