Is it possible to set which file types will be scanned by picard?

My library is a bit of a mess and I’m working to fix it. Is there a setting so that I can tell picard what file types to scan when loading multiple folders at once? Specifically, I want to only scan my flac files but there are ape and mp3 hidden in there as well.
Any tips will be greatly appreciated. :slight_smile:

On Linux or other *nixes, you could use something like picard $(find /path/to/music/library -type f -name "*.flac"). If you’re on Windows, I have no idea. :slight_smile:

This is not possible at the moment. However, you can use the %_extension% tag in your file naming script to create different folders for different file types when renaming with Picard. The usefulness of this obviously depends on how the different file types are mixed in your library (only different file types on different albums or per album, …).

Note that there’s an upper limit on the length of the arguments passed to the exec* family of functions (check getconf ARG_MAX) that you can hit with this command. And the usual “please don’t load your entire media library at once in Picard” disclaimer also applies here :wink:

1 Like

With the magic of the *nix commandline, you could easily pipe the find into sort, grep, … to give you a subset that you could iterate over. :slight_smile: (Or, y’know, just use find's own (quite extensive) syntax.)

Maybe I’ll try some experiments with the extension tag. :slight_smile:

Hmm, if you’re on windows, you can just type ‘flac’ into the search bar at the top right, and then drag the resulting files into Picard.
Has a number of issues - for instance it arranges the results alphabetically, probably all of your track 1’s together, so if you want to only pull in a few at a time (you probably do) you wont be getting complete CD’s.
Worth a mention I guess.

Good tip, I never even thought that far. :slight_smile: