Introduction thread!

Hola metabrainz community!! :smiley:

I am Divyanshu Raj, a sophomore all the way from India, pursuing my undergrad degree from IIT-ROORKEE.
I have been involved in web development from my high school. i am very much passionate about development and Open source is fuel to my passion :blush:.
i am a big fan of REACT , node.js for backend , postgresql and mysql for database , i am also fluent with WEB API such as
CANVAS,WEB AUDIO Api ,
javascript libraries such as VELOCITY.js ,ANIME.js and GSAP for animations across webpages.
I actually have started contributing to bookbrainz-site , before giving my intro over here :sweat_smile:, ya i Agree that much i love development :blush:.

For now, I am looking forward to bring some innovative changes on bookbrainz-site this year during GSOC’20.

One problem I am facing here is, on Irc channel, I have to see the chat logs explicitly every time. Whenever I log out of my Irc channel the chat is gone. That really sucks :sweat_smile:.

Is there any other way out to make conversations more interactive and fast???

6 Likes

Fortunately, chat logs are publicly available at IRC Logs for #metabrainz | MetaBrainz Chatlogs

5 Likes

yeah ! i get it .
thanks @yvanzo

Welcome !

Some of us use IRCCloud, which keeps you connected to the channel for 2 hours for the free version.
I’m sure there are other ways out there to stay connected while you’re out, though!
Search for IRC bouncer.

3 Likes

Hi there!

I am Rui Xi (Sirius), a senior at Sun Yat-sen University. I have been watching Google Summer of Code 2020 since early this year and find your project, the CritiqueBrainz project from MetaBrainz. I get down to CritiqueBrainz’s review aggregation project and find it perfectly meet my qualifications - I have a firm grasp of Python3 and Flask web application development. I led and developed (together with my teammates) a Task submission, tracking and rating platform, called Hands-on-Money (you can view its document in here ), using Pyhton3 Flask and Vue.

I have gone through the CritiqueBrainz webpage and registered an account. It is a fantastic platform with high-quality reviews. More reviews are the only thing that is missing (a review rating may also be good). I can contribute some RESTful APIs and UI widgets to the codebase. Meanwhile, I should add some ProgreSQL table to store external URLs and their previews. Also, I can write web crawlers to enrich its content, if possible.

I read the CB-36 ticket carefully, and I also browsed the related discussion. I am really looking forward to extra materials to have a more comprehensive understanding of your project’s needs. And, I was wondering whether it helps or not if I get down to the good-first-bug issue after I deployed the CB system.

5 Likes

2 posts were split to a new topic: Question about GSoC discussion period

Add more statistics and graphs for users and our community

Hi… I am graduate researcher currently pursuing CS major degree from Pune University, India. I have strong experience in Apache spark, Python, Javascript, Reccomendation systems, etc looking forward to contribut Add more statistics and graphs for users and our community. I have several ideas to implement. let me know how it can be done together. looking forward a great learning !
kindly provide the info how to get started

3 Likes

Hi folks, I am Adithya. About myself, I am an 18 year old student staying in India. I discovered ListenBrainz around October 2020 when searching for a platform to aggregate my music listening history across multiple platforms. Later I discovered last.fm but this open source alternative seemed better. From LB, I discovered the other organizations under MetaBrainz and thought of trying them out too. So I decided to stick around here, open few issues and solve some. Looking to have a great time here :slightly_smiling_face:

7 Likes

Hi everyone! I’m Jojo, an undergrad student at UC Berkeley studying computer science. I am new to open source contributions and am excited to help out! I have experience in Python, React, Javascript, UI/UX design. Love what MetaBrainz is doing!

5 Likes

Hey there everyone! I’m Vaibhav Tripathi, sophomore from Indian Institute of Technology, Varanasi, India. I am looking forward to contribute to MetaBrainz. I have prior experience with JavaScript, React, VueJS, C++ and Python.

Also, I can’t access the IRC and this thread seem to be old, so is there any other medium of communication?

4 Likes

Hi @vtripathi1508!

Development comms all happens over IRC, so you’ll probably have to get it to work if you want to discuss things in-depth. I can recommend using https://www.irccloud.com/

Alternatively you can just get stuck into tickets in https://tickets.metabrainz.org/ and leave comments for people there, but they can sometimes get lost in the mix!

1 Like

Hello everyone, My name is Luis and I enjoy listening to music hence why you see me here :smile:
I found about MetaBrainz thanks to GSOC and I’m very interested in participating and making a lot of contributions to this community. I can’t wait to get started with my first ticket :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Hello and welcome @luis1 !

2 Likes

Hello!
My name is Mohammed Gomaa, I’m an Egyptian CS Student at HTI.
I knew about MetaBrainz through GSoC, and I’m particularly interested in BookBrainz projects since I got the skillset.

About books, I’m currently reading one of Saad ElDin ElShazly books about 6th of October war, and I’ve been enjoying it so far!

4 Likes

Hi! I’m Kurumi from Tokyo, Japan! :grinning:

(My name Kurumi means walnut in Japanese! :laughing: )

I love music and programming very much, and that’s the reason why I found this community.

My most favorite artist is Hikaru Utada - link to our beloved MusicBrainz I love how Hikaru puts different instruments and sounds into one song and how beautiful the lyrics are.

I also used to make music by myself like this song :slight_smile:

I’m willing to contribute to the Metabrainz’ projects’ code. Right now, I’m setting up the local server in my own pc and looking at issues listed in Jira which have the good-first-bug tag :+1: Most likely I’ll ask for help soon to somebody:)

Thank you

11 Likes

:astonished: Wow, impressive song!! I love the music style, awesome drums bass guitars!
Welcome here, Kurumi.

3 Likes

Hi!!
I am Nishant Gupta. I’m into web develpoment and an absolute beginner when it comes to open source. Apart from that I love music and came across musicbrainz while I was doing some research for GSOC and was hooked by it.
Looking forward to some nice discussions!.

2 Likes

Hello Nishant !

I’m from Poland, not Holland. :wink:

I like India.

And I like film “Little Buddha”.

Official Trailer:

Hello everyone my Name is Kavach Dheer I an from Ireland, I am currently pursuing my PhD in recommendation systems. I love listening bollywood music and reading auto-biographies.
I am new to openSource and came across here through searching for projects in GSOC.

I am attaching my LinkedIn and Website, if somebody wants to connect.

Portfolio
LinkedIn

Kind Regards
Kavach Dheer
PhD Candiadte
University of Galway,School of Computer Science
SFI d-real

https://22kavachdheer.wixsite.com/research