Introduction thread!

Hello, and welcome! :slight_smile:

Where in Spain do you live? MetaBrainz has our ā€œEuropean headquartersā€ in Barcelona, so if youā€™re here, maybe we could meet up at some point.

Where did you see this? If for Jira/the ticket tracker, it should also redirect you to ask on IRC. If for the forums - thatā€™s because youā€™re supposed to use your musicbrainz.org account here. Weā€™re trying to unify our accounts so that the musicbrainz.org (or possibly metabrainz.org by then) account will be used for logging in to all of the related services (forums, wiki, ticket tracker, ā€¦).

Where do you need an account? And you donā€™t need to sign up for anything for access to any of our code. Itā€™s all completely publicly available from MetaBrainz Foundation Ā· GitHub

1 Like

I live in Valencia, itā€™s not that close but not that far away, letā€™s keep in contact and see when an opportunity arises.

Youā€™re right, sorry! I got to Log in - MetaBrainz Tickets and found myself into a dead end, but in the ticket system thereā€™s the reference to the MetaBrainz channel.

I just wanted to see some issues or tickets to check if I could start tinkering. I saw they are redirected from github to the closed ticket system, thatā€™s why I asked for an account, maybe unnecessarily. Any help on where to start contributing is very welcome and Iā€™ll do my best to follow your guidelines.

Thanks!

You should be able to browse the tickets via http://tickets.musicbrainz.org/ just fine, even without an account. I usually point prospective Summer of Code students to https://wiki.musicbrainz.org/Development/Summer_of_Code/Getting_started for help getting started - but it should also work well as an aid for others. :wink:

Looks like I have some homework to do! Iā€™ll try to follow issues using the RSS feed, as I donā€™t see any other option to subscribe.

See you on the IRC channel, I will also try and introduce new data into de DB.

Thanks for your help.

4 Likes

Hi, I am Piyush from India, currently pursuing Btech in Electrical and Electronics Engineering. I have a large music library and I like to see it well organised and tagged. So, I use the musicbrainz database through musicbee to tag my music.
I listen to pop, edm, rap, rock, instrumental(classical, soundtracks, etc.), hindi(indian) songs, etc.
But the database doesnt contain data about many of the instrumental and hindi songs. So I wish to add those.
Also, I want to contribute to the code of picard or any other open source technology. I know basic python and java and also android development. But I am willing to and can learn new things very quickly, if required.
So, please guide me how to contribute. Since I am new to Open Source as well as the MetaBrainz Community.

7 Likes

Welcome, @piyushgoel997 :slight_smile: and thank you for introducing yourself! Nice to meet you :slight_smile:

I am Anita, from the Netherlands. I joined this community only a few weeks ago, to list my new CD album. I am a music composer (pop - contemporary jazz) and I sing, play the piano/keyboard and the flute. To write down my scores, I use the program Sibelius. I have my own independent record label and I produce my music in my own home studio, using Sonar. Also, I am a graphics designer and a web developer. Oh, and I used to be a lawyer, and I still help my husband with legal and personnel affairs and some other things in his business.

I discovered Music Brainz because I found out that my singing teacher from United States had listed her CD here! I had never joined an internet community before, so everything was new for me! But I can tell you @piyushgoel997, that this is a very friendly and competent experts group, and they all will help you out when you experience difficulties with the site! Just ask in the forum, if you have a problem :wink:

Iā€™m sure there are a lot of instrumentals in the database already, but, as we cannot set a type for them (yet), they do not show up when people are looking for them :disappointed: :cry:
You might be interested in this forum thread where we are discussing how to let instrumentals show up in the database, when people search for them :slight_smile:

Oh and thatā€™s just wonderful, that you know python and other script languages! I am sure that you can contribute in a great way, to help this database becoming the most complete Music Encyclopedia of the world! :slight_smile:

5 Likes

First off, welcome! Second off, Iā€™ll just quote myself from just a couple posts before :wink: :

So start there and once youā€™re at a loss, come on IRC and ask more specific questions, or ask in the relevant sub-forum here. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hi,

another frenchie here, thanks all for the submissions. iā€™ll try to contribute the best i can.

2 quick questions:

Is the site Discogs like (submissions/votes) ?
Is it possible to display album art in the collection tab ?

Thanks

2 Likes

Bienvenue !

1. Yes, there is a review process like in Discogs, Wikipedia, or Encyclopaedia Metallum.
    Voir aussi lā€™article comparatif de Numerama en 2013 (in French).
  2. It is not possible for now. You can file a feature request in the tickets tracker about it. It will most probably not be a top priority, but it will be considered eventually.
2 Likes

Luckily until itā€™s made into a feature, @jesus2099 has a userscript that works great:

:slight_smile:

edit: sorry, I see jesus2099 already made a thread about it!!

1 Like

Hi, Iā€™m Daniel from Germany and Iā€™m happy being able to contribute to this great project. I found out about MusicBrainz years ago, because I had the idea of creating a database for music where you can find out where certain songs are from etc. Obviously someone had that idea before me. :laughing: Really active on this project am I just for a few days yet, discovering it through Google-CodeIn again. Iā€™m doing my very best to help this project, although I have some problems understanding the API to do some coding yet.
Btw: At the most times I hear dance music because I like dancing and this kind of music seems to be stuck in my ear (as Germans would call it ā€œOhrwurmā€). :grin: Nevertheless Iā€™m happy to take part in this project. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Hello Everyone, Iam Marcus Shmidt and iam just arrived here, wanted to say everyone Hello :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Hello Everyone ,
I am Jyoti Narang .I just joined the MusicBrainz community . I am currently studying Music Technology program at Georgia Tech . I heard of this project via the GSOC (which I cannot apply to for some reasons :P) I still love the word ā€œMusicBrainzā€ and hence would like to meet everyone here .
I am a passionate musician and love mathematics which made me a programmer . Hence ,I decided to work on this domain to contribute whatever little I can . I am still trying to explore on the things being done in the musicbrainz community . Is there work being done on recommendation engines as well as part of the project since the project seems to have a good database already ?

4 Likes

Between MusicBrainz and AcousticBrainz and ListenBrainz, we actually now have all the cogs needed for a completely open recommendation engineā€¦ So now we just need someone to make this. Feel free to volunteer/give it a go! :wink:

Also, the database may be quite good as it is, but there will always be more data to add and data to fix. :slight_smile:

1 Like

oh wow Freso .This is exciting . I have still not seen the codebase.How do I see it ?

Thanks,
Jyoti

Most code for the MetaBrainz projects is on Github at MetaBrainz Foundation Ā· GitHub

See also How to Contribute - MusicBrainz for general information how to get involved.

2 Likes

Yes and it isā€¦Excitingā€¦

I just noticed this thread, so hereā€™s a bit about meā€¦

My name is Bob and I live in Alberta, Canada. Iā€™m a mechanical engineer and have ZERO musical ability other than listening. :slight_smile:

I first discovered MusicBrainz a couple of years ago when I started ripping and tagging my CD collection. I try to add / edit stuff as I find it in my collection and missing on MusicBrainz. In my spare time I enjoy doing some open source programming work and just submitted my first Picard plugin for consideration (giving me an excuse to start learning Python). Itā€™s nice to be able to contribute something back to the MusicBrainz community.

8 Likes

Introducing myself here. Iā€™ve been a music collector since my childhood and recently (two years ago) began cataloging my music on here and discogs.

Recently I began chatting it up in the IRC channel. So, I have thousands of CDā€™s in my den (throughout my house) and slowly working on refurbishing the ones I own and obtaining new works. Most of my collection are works of ancient music (classical, romantic, baroque) while a growing number are contemporary.

As such, Iā€™m slowly learning the habits of a good submission and learning from mistakes over the last few years. I have a long long way to go before my project is realized. I have many obscure classical recordings that have little in the way of documentation so I hope to make a little impact on the Classical end.

My hobbies are many and focus shifts from time to time. But, I always return to my old hobbies as interests run dry of the other ones.

Currently, my focus on obtaining new music are original CD releases of 80ā€™s and 90ā€™s alternative and rock releases. Iā€™m having a blast with it. I thoroughly enjoy reading through the album art as I listen to them. Luckily it has turned into a relatively inexpensive hobby (as opposed to golf).

Thatā€™s it for now. Nice to meet you all.

11 Likes

Hello there, everybody! My username is Adimetro00 but you can call me Adi.

I am from Indonesia, and I have been using MusicBrainz since three years ago. I first came here out of concern that a lot of Japanese albums didnā€™t get any recognition at all and Iā€™m aiming to fix that.

I mainly deal with doujin (Independent Japanese Artists) releases, and Iā€™m going to add in a lot of releases from a certain circle known as Foxtail-Grass Studio.

Anyone here doing the same and wants to correct any mistakes?

7 Likes