Instrumental recording + lyrics =?

I understand that adding lyrics to a work makes a new work, but what about recordings?

This recording is instrumental, and this recording adds a vocal track. Is that a remix, an edit, something else?

1 Like

It is titled remix - I would make it a remix of.

Sure, and the third track on the release is definitely a remix but I can’t tell that the first track necessarily meets the MB definition of a remix. The only change is the vocals.

BTW, the work versions are strange:

Later versions:

• Mechvirus (Ayria vocal version)
  • Mechvirus (Ultra Sunn vocal version)

What counts on works is not who sings, it’s which lyrics version.

Are they the same lyrics?
If yes, they should be merged and the comment should be fixed.
If not, the disambiguation comment should be fixed to which lyrics version it is.

No, they’re different lyrics. I checked to be sure. I don’t know for sure who wrote the lyrics, but probably the vocalist in each case.

1 Like

I added annotations for the works. This whole work gets funny with the relationships because you end up with this one, which is an instrumental version of the Ultra Sunn vocal remix. :person_shrugging:

1 Like

I’ve never heard those but:

If it’s really the instrumental (including melody by instruments), you could link it to the original instrumental, instead of to the song.

But if it’s (most likely) a karaoke (they removed vocal tracks), then why not. But you should also link this side B, so called instrumental (in fact karaoke) recording to the normal sung recording (side A), with recording-recording karaoke relationship, and change the recording-work relationship into being karaoke, as well.

That’s muddy. The most likely ordering is that Ultra Sunn remixed the orginal audio and then added the vocals, but we don’t actually know that.

1 Like