Improve My Edit Notes: Sonny Terry & Brownie McGhee

In the spirit of “more and better edit notes” as discussed in another thread

The blues duo Sonny Terry & Brownie McGhee performed and recorded together for many years. At some point in the past, all their releases were recredited to Terry & McGhee as individuals. I’ve recently started moving those back to the duo (as in this edit).

What would be a meaningful/useful edit note for a case like this?

2 Likes

My answer would be - I write notes expecting a total stranger who doesn’t know me to read it in five years time. I need to be clear to someone in the future that I did know what I was doing at the time. And they can trust my edit as genuine. I want to give them a good feeling that I actually checked my resources and know what I am talking about. I don’t want to them to think I just Google’d it, or stuffed a date in as I wanted a tag filled in.

I’d also try and make the comment readable and not just shorthand. A large number of the users will not have English as a first language meaning some details get lost.

With the example you have posted I don’t know an answer. My first is a question as you are changing two separate people into one entity which seems weird to me. So that becomes the answer… why are you making a single entity out of two separate people?

So that comes down to a edit note of “These two artists perform as a duo”.

Your note is close, but the meaning is a bit vague as it can be misread. I’d waffle it out a bit more into a clear English sentence. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

How about: “These two artists perform as a long-standing duo that’s considered by most to be a separate entity from their solo careers.”

7 Likes

Exactly like Lester Flatt & Earl Scruggs is handled in the database. The long standling duo comprising the individual artists Lester Flatt and Earl Scruggs. I’m sure there are many others.

5 Likes

Yes, there are many precedents - Simon and Garfunkel, Daryl Hall & John Oates, DJ Jazzy Jeff & The Fresh Prince, etc. There are even forum threads discussing some of these, so I don’t expect the recrediting to be controversial.

It’s easy to think “this is obvious” and put in some sort of minimal edit note, so I was looking for perspective on what might not be as obvious as I think (like @freso’s suggestion in the other thread of referencing the generating software when adding disc ids).

I wonder if it might be worth adding something to the guidelines regarding duos, for instance formalizing some of the points raised in the Jazzy Jeff/Fresh Prince thread.

3 Likes