Identifying pressing plants from vinyl runouts

Is it allowed to add pressing plants or cutting/mastering credits that only can be identified from the runout information?
Since we don’t add runouts it can’t be confirmed by other users, so I guess we shouldn’t do that, correct?

2 Likes

You can add the relationships. Other users can debate/vote on the edits if they like, but we do store information that goes beyond what’s ‘on the box’, so to speak.

And you can add run-outs :+1:
(Pictures or text in the annotation)

1 Like

OK, thx, that helps… I was skeptic because one of the biggest German pressing plants “Teldec Press Gmbh”, which is identified in most cases from the runouts, hasn’t been added to the db :wink:

2 Likes

It definitely hasn’t been a strong point in MB’s data, broadly speaking, but you can help start the precedent :stuck_out_tongue:

I know there’s plenty of editors that love that stuff (including myself, more recently!)

1 Like

I’m someone who adds pressing plants for CDs. Which includes identifying some from SIDs. Adding the pressing part like you have is great.

Write the Runout text into the Annotation. Take a close-up scan of the text on the vinyl and mark it as “runout\matrix” as that is what that type is for. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

If you refer to the pressing plant in Nortorf as a “place”, you’re right. You should add it. But there’s already a “label”, the company Teldec-Press GmbH, which should be the owner (label) of the plant (place). Usually a plant should be named after the most recent owner. In this case, it would be something like “TELDEC Record Service GmbH, Nortorf”, although I think, Teldec-Press is also fine - or better… :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Edit #89195341 - MusicBrainz - :joy: Looks at date stamp and editor… @indy133 is one step ahead of us

3 Likes

I think this is a result of merging two pressing plants: Nortorf and Record service Alsdorf. So it’s not the same.
So, if I get it right I also have to add the plant “Teldec press Gmbh” and use this for the pressing relation.

1 Like

No, it’s not the same. Therefore Nortorf has to be added to the company name. But, if you like to add the plant, I would prefer “Teldec-Press” anyway :wink:

… you don’t have to. It’s only in case you like to add it.

1 Like

I think since both are the same in this case, I think it’ less confusing to just have one.
The question is: company or plant? And would there be a difference between “pressed by + company” and “pressed at” + plant.

Usually it’s “what is printed”. If it’s “manufactured by XXX”, the company should be used, in case of “manufactured at XXX” the place should be chosen. But if you read it from the runout… there is nothing like that.
But having both, label and place is indeed a bit confusing.

1 Like

I guess the most used phrase is “pressed by” so I think the company will do it.

1 Like

for what it’s worth, if the place changes names, then you might lose the right name for the place in the DB. since when labels change names, they get a new entity, I personally would probably prefer to use the label relationship, possibly in addition to place. that might just be me tho~

(you might also be able to add a “credited as” to avoid this altogether, not certain)

2 Likes