I have found a very weird series

Yes, like tags, for example :slight_smile:

4 Likes

For me it has nothing to do with rules, just found it weird / funny to see a series like that. I’m not saying that it should be removed. If I would have known that my remark would make such a fuss, I would not have said anything

It’s also strange that no one can see a collection when it’s public unless “you stumble upon it”. There should be a button so you can see all public collection, otherwise what is the use of making them public

I am a cancer researcher by profession and can offer an opinion from that perspective. The “death by …” data seems more suited for collections that users must search for, rather than a series, because:

1. The relationship is not music-related, just human related.
  2. The data are not highly accurate or verifiable.
Summary

The “cause of death” will often come from news stories, Wikipedia, obituaries. These often provide low-quality information because we do not have access to individual medical records. Some people have cancer plus other fatal conditions. Further, the tissue of origin of cancer is not always determined. A tumor that arises (for example) in the prostate or the mammary gland might spread to the lung, liver, bone, or brain. Especially before the 1980s, the cause of death might be ascribed to lung cancer, for instance, when the primary site was a tissue in another organ.

1. The data are not complete enough to be helpful in research.
Summary

In principle, epidemiological research could be conceived. For example, we know that some head and neck cancer is associated with subtypes of human papilloma virus, and that liver cancer has some association with hepatitis B/C virus infection. We might speculate about relationships between cause of death and lifestyle of individuals. This is salacious and scientifically useless without full mortality and contact data on all artists in MusicBrainz – obviously not a desirable goal

6 Likes

I think it’s time to revise Style/Relationships and further clarify what is not within the scope of MusicBrainz

There are many things you could add to MusicBrainz but are better suited for specialized databases or generic ones like Wikidata

6 Likes

Like I said before why not make the public collections more public like Discgos does with list. Problem solved it think

It would be a shame to have this interesting information buried, whether it fits the schema or not imo.

Can’t say I agree with the gist of this. Artist pages are about the humans behind the music. We store birth and death dates.

7 Likes

This seems like an attempt to convert Wikidata statements or Wikipedia lists/categories into MB series. Wikidata entities and Wikipedia list pages can have inline citations and are probably more likely to be maintained. Wikipedia categories are dynamic. Content like this is fine for Wikimedia projects, but (speaking as an advocate of MB), I don’t see much value in trying to replicate lists like those here.

3 Likes

Tags, like Collections don’t have any way of annotating them. Series are so rich in the way we all allowed to document, manipulate and add to them. Seems a shame to to not be allowed to make use of them. Having to hide knowledge we want to share.

Agree this is the point at so many levels. While humans still make music, humans have other connections. It is what makes us human. We live. We die. We connect in many ways.

It is a pity if Wikipedia is to be the only place on the planet to learn information about musicians.

2 Likes

There are no label, instrument, place, area or genre series. Unlike series tags can be used for any entity type on-the-fly, no need for separate series to catalog the same thing.

Oh, and there are no series for series either.

This is false, collections have descriptions.

If you didn’t refuse to use the bugtracker you would know that there are plenty feature and improvement suggestions for tags and collections. But these can’t be implemented overnight, it requires more resources than simply adding new series and relationship types.

BTW, a series of entities will show you less edits than a collection of the same set of entities.
So it makes more sense to use a collection for subscription purposes.

5 Likes