How to help automatic matching

Are there things that can be done with MusicBrainz entries to improve the chances of listens being matched? It could be just because I listen to it and my related users do as well(so I’m more likely to notice), but it seems to struggle most with mixed languages.

For example from a similar user of mine
example
If you take Love & Live as an example here is the MB recording

You can see the title of the track, release, and artist are all written in multiple different ways. Some artists everything will be Hangul/Korean on Korean services and Latin/English on western ones, so they are all valid and could show up in listens in any of those formats. But most notable is the main entries are in Hangul where the listens aren’t.

I’m not sure what data is all used for matching so I’m not sure what I can do on the MusicBrainz side editing to improve the chances of automatic matches. I fix my own always, but if I can add or edit things for artists on MB that would help I would like to do that. Would linking recordings to Youtube Music Videos, Youtube Music, or spotify songs help? Should I add aliases to releases and recordings for other scripts?

And this is about entries that have existed on MB for a long time not missing ones to clarify further.

Also if there is any other data that ListenBrainz uses or might use in the future I would love to know so I can prioritize adding that as well :smiley:

4 Likes

I think since ListenBrainz matches based on track title and artist name the only real things you could do are proposing changes to those on MB (eg: proposing that it is changed to the name on Spotify for consistency - since I’d say that it should match for a user using Spotify, and in a lot of these cases it can’t)

Both Latin and Korean names are available as track titles, but I dunno if ListenBrainz uses track titles as kind of aliases for the recording when matching or not. If not, that could be helpful, I guess?

I don’t think Listenbrainz takes into account aliases from MB - if an artist name doesn’t match the primary one on MB for example then it doesn’t seem to be able to find it. I would imagine that being able to consider the aliases for artist names and track names might be a big help in cases where there may be multiple valid names. I don’t think linking tracks is a great solution just because it requires a lot of babysitting of LB whenever you listen to new stuff

1 Like